We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best camping spots for avid hikers? Molera/Limekiln/Pfeiffer

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palo Alto...
Best camping spots for avid hikers? Molera/Limekiln/Pfeiffer

Hi everyone,

I've scoured the internet and have yet to really decide on what would be best and most conducive for our camping situation in late March.

We want to camp for 3 nights somewhere in Big Sur, preferably a site with the most access to nearby hiking trails (ideally 6+ miles, not just short ones). Any ideas?

We're fine with more rustic campgrounds. Pfeiffer sounds central but almost too crowded/popular. Molera doesn't take reservations and Limekiln seems too far south.

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
1. Re: Best camping spots for avid hikers? Molera/Limekiln/Pfeiffer

I think Molera is your best bet. Pfeiffer is much more developed with RV spaces, cabins, and a restaurant. Limekiln is too far south. Molera is perfect.

www.redwoodhikes.com/BigSur/Molera.html

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
2. Re: Best camping spots for avid hikers? Molera/Limekiln/Pfeiffer

Here's a list of Big Sur hiking trails:

bigsurcalifornia.org/hiking-trails.html

The www.bigsurcalifornia.org/ website also has a map showing where everything is in relation to each other. You'll also want to check current trail conditions, as a fire a few years back damaged/destroyed some of them.

Santa Barbara...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Best camping spots for avid hikers? Molera/Limekiln/Pfeiffer

You've answered your own question well. Molera's camps sites are in a clearing near large bushes and oak trees from what I recall, and you have to walk in a short distance. Pfeiffer Big Sur is more forested and you can park at your campsite. (you can do an image search on google and get an idea)

http://www.hikinginbigsur.com/

San Francisco...
4. Re: Best camping spots for avid hikers? Molera/Limekiln/Pfeiffer

For hiking info, we love this book (and call it the hiking bible). I think they also pub one on camping.

amazon.com/Foghorn-Outdoors-California-Tom-S…

5. Re: Best camping spots for avid hikers? Molera/Limekiln/Pfeiffer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 25, 2014