We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
La Center...
Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

We would like to have a destination wedding in the Big Sur area. Ideally, we could rent a large house to host the wedding and reception, but we are not opposed to a mid price range hotel. We would also like to be close to the beach, if possible. Any suggestions?

30 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
reviews: 49
1. Re: Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

I would start by contacting Cheri Gladstone, a caterer who knows and books all the wedding locations in Big Sur. She is a great caterer. Her website is abigsuraffair.com

There are some large houses that wiill accoommodate enough people for a small wedding. YOu can check the listings on vrbo.com But Cheri will know them for sure.

Ragged Point Inn is a mid priced hotel south of Big Sur that is on a gorgeous bluff overlooking the ocean, but I don't recall if there is a beach. I'm pretty sure they do weddings there.

Congratulations on your engagement!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 9
2. Re: Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

Yes, Ragged Point does weddings and there is a beach, but it's a long hike down and back up.

Most of the Big Sur coastline is elevated, so not sure if a beach wedding is doable along the majority of coastline. The most accessible beaches are Pfeiffer Beach and Andrew Molera State Park. I'm sure the person that LosAngelesTravelBug recommends can answer that for you.

Keep in mind that if you're planning this over the summer months, that fog may be present and obscure any views.

La Center...
3. Re: Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

Ok, I know that being near a beach is probably not going to happen. A beach view would be wonderful. Has anyone had any experience with the Anderson Canyon house?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
4. Re: Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

I had never heard of that home before, but I just looked at the website. It is gorgeous! And it's quintessential Big Sur. The photo of the wedding ceremony location looks very much like Point 16, which is the property where I got married in Lucia (southern part of Big Sur). If this home had been available back then, I would have gotten married here for sure. It has everything--the gorgeous view of the ocean, rustic Big Sur feel, and also a house to stay in. Point 16 doesn't have a house on the property. Have you already inquired about rates? I'm curious as to how expensive it is.

Also, in case you'd like to read my personal story about a fog-obscured Big Sur wedding like Kibblesmom mentioned, here is my previous forum post. It's long, but skip down to the largest paragraph toward the end. That's the one about the weather/fog. Here is the link:

tripadvisor.com/…17015592

La Center...
5. Re: Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

We can get the Anderson Canyon house for $8000 for 2-3 days. I agree it is beautiful. We would be lucky to get it.

Where did you get your wedding cake and flowers?

Edited: 1:18 pm, February 10, 2013
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
6. Re: Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

My cake was from Patisserie Bachler in Pacific Grove, and I highly recommend him. http://www.patisseriebechler.com/

I wasn't too happy with my florist/flowers. If you want to private message me, I'll tell you who it was, but I'd rather not say it here.

San Francisco...
7. Re: Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

That house is beautiful. I can't imagine a beach setting better than that. I wonder if there are any wedding businesses (cake, flowers, etc) in Big Sur.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
reviews: 8
8. Re: Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

OMG. Thank you for pointing out Anderson Canyon. I've seen the house at a distance from the terrace of Nepenthe and always wondered what it would be like to live there. I had no idea it was open for paying guests - it's definitely on my list now!

La Center...
9. Re: Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

Anderson is now out of our price range, their latest offer is $10,000 for one day. We are very frustrated in this process. Does anyone have any ideas about a place. I am wondering, if it's time to contact a professional in the area to help locate a venue that isn't out of our range, cut a beautiful spot to have a wedding and to stay at for a couple of days.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
reviews: 8
10. Re: Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur

If you were willing to pay $8000 for 2-3 days, I would recommend the Post Ranch Inn. We had our honeymoon there and the place is one of the most scenic on earth. It's not cheap, but they have rooms that start at $600/night; still far less expensive than Anderson Canyon. And they have professional staff who are experts at event planning and weddings.

http://www.postranchinn.com/weddings/

Reply to: Best Place for a Wedding in Big Sur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted