We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Are they really that expensive? My husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary this July and are willing to spend a lot on hotels during our trip to SF & Big Sur, but $1200 for an ocean view room is ridiculous.

Anyone have advice or insights to share?

San Francisco...
reviews: 107
11. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

If you go to http://livingsocial.com and search for ventana, they have a special now from $450/night. That might help ease the sting if the terms and dates are right.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
12. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

We stayed at both, Ventana Inn and Post Ranch Inn, several times. If you want, click on my name and there should be reviews around 2006-2010.

Ventana sort of lost its soul after it was purchased by a corporate entity. Rooms were extensively remodeled after the aquisition and after the fires in Big Sur, but service was impersonal and the food in the restaurant was a far cry from what we remembered from our former stays.

Post Ranch Inn is magnificent in so many ways: incredible setting, private, attentive service from everyone on the property, great amenities: spa, Shaman session, views all around, infinity pool in a dream setting, library, stargazing, incredible breakfast (included) and wonderful food in their restaurant.. I could go on and on.

Post Ranch is more expensive but rightfully so and it is worth every dime. I doubt very much that you would drive away feeling that you overpaid or that it was not worth it. You could go to Vegas for a weekend and by the time you paid for a decent hotel room, food, spa, saw a show, and gambled some, it would be more then a weekend at Post Ranch Inn, and you would not get to bond with your partner.

Here is what I would recommend.. Do not get too fixated on the ocean view room. IMO, you would love any room. Take a look at treehouses, which are uber romantic and are around $700-$800. Some of them have at least partial water views. Perhaps a room in the old Mountain View House or a lower level Coast House. The amenities are the same no matter which room you stay in and in July you would likely spend lots of time outdoors. So, just sit on one of the benches overlooking the ocean.

Call the Inn and speak with one of the reps there. Tell them that it is your special Anniversary but that you do not have unlimited funds right now ..;)

Do it!!

Edited: 10:42 pm, January 19, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
13. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Wow....Anna...you are here too! The first time I was at the Ventana Inn was I think 1979. Didn't stay there at that visit but loved the restaurant. Stayed subsequently and then it slid into the Pacific....just dismal. Haven't been in a few years....

Then Post Ranch popped up...absolutely amazing. An truly gorgeous property...unique beyond measure.

When it opened it was a "deal". The room rates are 6 or 7 times more expensive now. But still an absoutely amazing property....

This is for Anna....I had my first Ambrosia Burger in 1975!

Los Angeles...
14. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Hi Datt!!! (Is it David?)

Every once in a while, I tear myself away from my true loves (French and Italian countrysides) and peack as to what is going on under my nose, so to speak.

Rumor has it that there are deals to be found for Ventana at around $400+ per night and that is probably what it is worth, although I have not been back for about three years now. (There was a dead mouse floating in the Japanese baths. I am not a sissy and am ok with rodents, dead or alive, but husband was done with Ventana at that point). Maybe they got their groove back by now.

Post Ranch Inn is nose-bleed expensive and, when I calculate that a night at Post Ranch will cost me the same as a week in a "four wheaties" gite in Provence, I get "practical" for that fleeting moment. ;) All things being equal, it ain't France, Datt.

1975 was a good year!

reviews: 709
15. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

I think you should seriously consider The Ritz-Carlton in Half Moon Bay. We enjoyed an anniversary stay here and fell totally in love with this place! Since our stay we have been in the area several imes for business and won't leave the area without some time there wine tasting, dining at Navio their awesome restaurant or drinks and appetizers in The Conservatory Lounge.

The rooms at this hotel are amazing, ours had a private patio with a firepit and overlooked the golf course and ocean. I cannot say enough great things about the Ritz here and it is in a spectacular setting. Have fun! :)

Vancouver, Canada
16. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Yes it is David.....the Ambrosia Burger has been a staple at Nepenthe (just down the highway from Post Ranch and Ventana) for decades. Nepenthe was my first exposure to Big Sur.

Los Angeles...
17. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

We stopped at Nepenthe for lunch several times. I think the food is pretty plain wrap (we must not have ordered the Ambrosia Burger), but the view is to die for!! Drinks are pretty great as long as there is a designated driver to go around those crazy curves in the highway.

Edited: 10:16 pm, January 29, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
18. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Nepenthe was great back 35 years ago when I first discovered it.... super laid back. Then the tourists started showing up...then the tour buses starting showing up! But the views are still amazing...

Did you know that Orson Welles and Rita Hayworth once owned the property?

Los Angeles...
19. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Nope, did not know that. I think I knew something re one of late Elizabeth Taylor's honeymoons being in Big Sur. ;)

So, do you ever dine at Diva at the Mets [sp]?

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 169
20. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Nepenthe was used in a Taylor movie in the 1960s when it was owned by the Fassets - not sure if that family still owns it, but I know it has been a restaurant about 50 years because I started going there around 1965. The food & drink are good - but you go for the spectacular view down the coast & the vibe! Anywhere you choose to go in Big Sur should celebrate the views - if you make reservations make a point of asking what your room looks out to...