We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Are they really that expensive? My husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary this July and are willing to spend a lot on hotels during our trip to SF & Big Sur, but $1200 for an ocean view room is ridiculous.

Anyone have advice or insights to share?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 132
1. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

The Post Ranch Inn is a great hotel and an amazing place to stay. It is a high end place and if you go there, you spend your time there and not use it just as a room for the night. I am not sure what you are looking to hear from us. You can read reviews on TA as well as other hotel sites, You can see photos

If you want cheaper places you can look at Tickle Pink Inn and Highlands Inn but they are in the Carmel highlands and not in Big Sur. If you are looking for budget accommodation in the Big Sur Area, check out the Treebones resort

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g240329-d261216…

You could get one of the other rooms which are not ocean front

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
2. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Hi aimieb,

Welcome to the forums.

What sort of advice would you like???

YES , It is expensive and I don't spend that much on hotel rooms BUT there are plenty of people who do soooo???

Different strokes ......and all that.

If you want ideas for your anniversary then perhaps let folks know what you'd like to spend and they may have other ideas for you.

I'd start a new thread with a new question for that since this one sounds like you want to know about these 2 particular hotels.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
reviews: 27
3. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

If you are going to splurge on one of those properties, I'd recommend going all out and staying at the Post Ranch Inn. Everyone I know who has stayed there says it is a unique and extraordinary experience, really special, regardless of the room category.

We stayed at Ventana a few years ago for an anniversary-- because Post Ranch Inn had construction going on. We did not feel it was that special a place; we felt they were capitalizing on the beautiful location and grounds-- and, by the way, it is NOT on the ocean side of the road. We won't go back, but do hope to go to the Post Ranch some time.

Austin
4. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Because it's our 10th anniversary we want to stay somewhere really, really nice preferably in the Big Sur area. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around the St. Regis at Half Moon Bay costing $550-$800 for ocean view, yet the Post Ranch Inn and Ventana costing $1200.

I was hoping someone might be aware of specials or packages not advertised on the website? Or, is it possible rates will get cheaper closer to high season if there's still tons of availability? That could be delusional thinking, I'm just hoping against hope I guess.

Pasca - Great advice about Post Ranch Inn v. Ventana. My husband and I just had a conversation about whether or not Ventana was ocean side, hard to tell from the website.

Thanks again!

Austin
5. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Appending my earlier post, meant to say Ritz Carlton at Half Moon Bay.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
6. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Everyone has to be comfortable with their budget. As mentioned you should look at Highland Inn or Tickle Pink inn. I have seen them on sale

There are websites that offer deals for luxury resorts such as luxurylink.com but the deal is seasonal. If you are a AMEX platinum class member then you get perks there including an upgrade when available and some freebies so you could get a cheaper room and get an upgrade in the low season

I agree with the opinion on Ventana inn. Just saw a living social discount on Ventana FWIW

Edited: 6:35 pm, January 16, 2013
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
7. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Forgot to mention PRI is in the just release 2013 list of TA luxury resorts. At #5 I think

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
8. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

High season WON'T see lower rates at either property. Lodging in Big Sur is VERY limited and it's a VERY popular high season destination. The folks who have the means will pay the price for those rooms at PRI and Ventana.

You might want to consider one of the rooms at Glen Oaks Motel. While there are aren't any ocean views, you would be under the redwoods.

In addition to the Tickle Pink or Highlands Inn previously mentioned, you might want to look at La Playa in Carmel or Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove and base yourself there with a day trip to Big Sur, which is less than an hour's drive from the Monterey/Carmel area.

You should book something ASAP, as the better places book up early for the high summer season.

Edited: 6:47 pm, January 16, 2013
San Francisco...
9. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

I hear you on the price. For that much $ I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself, but plenty of people do. I once saw a deal for Ventana but it was for their low-end rooms (no ocean view). If you're staying in Half Moon Bay and don't need the amenities of the Ritz, we like the oceanfront suites at the Cypress Inn on Miramar beach. It's a B&b in quieter part if town so a different experience that the Ritz.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
reviews: 45
10. Re: Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn

Yes, both PRI and Ventana are very expensive. Ventana tends to have specials now that it's under new ownership (for the past 4 years or so), but PRI does not. They do sometimes offer packages, but it doesn't reflect a discount--just bundles.

My husband and I have stayed at both properties-twice at PRI and more than that at Ventana. The first time we stayed at PRI we splurged on a coast house, and it was spectular, but the price was ridiculous. That was several years ago, so it's even more now. I don't have any way of justifying the price, but it really is extraordinary. If you can just accept that you're splurging (big time), you will love it. Although it seems ridiculous to spend that kind of money, it somehow is worth it once you get there.

I'll also say that you don't have to go all the way for ocean view. It's great, yes, but even a less expensive option will still be amazing. The property is truly unique and special.

With all that said, I love Ventana as well, but not quite as much as I did 'in the old days" before the new ownership. Also, if you do go to Ventana, do not splurge on an ocean view room, as it is on the other side of the highway, as previously pointed out. If there is no fog, you can see the ocean in the distance, but it's so far that it's not worth the extra money for ocean view.

Here are links to my reviews of both properties:

Ventana:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g240329-d143…

Post Ranch Inn

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g240329-d261…