We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California itinerary ideas January 2013

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 4
California itinerary ideas January 2013

Hi,

My partner and I are travelling from Australia to the US in January 2013 and need some help regarding California. We've got 3 nights in Santa Monica sorted out, and then have another 3 nights to go where we please before having to be back in LA to fly out to New York on the 16th. I know California is a big state so don't want to spend all our time driving (will hire a car). Any suggestions for a short 3 day trip from Santa Monica? Interested in the wine region if possible. No kids. Thanks.

San Diego...
reviews: 28
1. Re: California itinerary ideas January 2013

There are quite a few wine regions, for example the Temecula Valley north of San Diego, the Santa Ynez Valley north of Santa Barbara, the area around Paso Robles, and the Napa Valley north of San Francisco. There are others but those are the ones most visited by travelers. Since you posted this in the Big Sur forum I assume you are interested in the Big Sur scenery. It looks like the photos on this page: http://pashnit.com/roads/cal/Hwy1BigSur.htm If you visited the Paso Robles wine country and the Big Sur area, you could reasonably get both of those in during a 3-day tour.

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: California itinerary ideas January 2013

That's great, thanks for that.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 43
3. Re: California itinerary ideas January 2013

Check weather and roadcondition driving up the coast between Cambria and Carmel. Sometimes landslides that close the highway. At this moment there are closures.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
4. Re: California itinerary ideas January 2013

My suggestion would be to leave Santa Monica early on Day 1, drive up to Santa Barbara and spend a few hours there, then continue up to Cambria for night 1.

www.cambriachamber.org/

IF Highway 1 is open, continue up to Monterey/Carmel for Night 2 via Big Sur.

www.seemonterey.com

You can return to LA via the faster Highway 68 to Salinas and finish via Highway 101.

Edited: 12:09 pm, December 27, 2012
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
5. Re: California itinerary ideas January 2013

I would head south and enjoy the Coastal Highway, and maybe a night in the San Diego area...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c174834/Califo…

Edited: 12:14 pm, December 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: California itinerary ideas January 2013

Thanks everyone for your ideas, now we have some idea of where to head to!

7. Re: California itinerary ideas January 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 29, 2013