We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

Well it's that time of year and the recent rains we've had mean rock/mud slides along the Big Sur coast and Highway 1 is closed in 2 places. <Sigh>

ksby.com/news/…

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
1. Re: Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

With all the rain, that was pretty predictable, yes? Thanks for alerting our visitors.

Troy, Michigan
reviews: 4
2. Re: Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

Currently, the dot site says closure between lucia and fuller's point. Tried locating it in map but not sure where they lie along Hwy 1. Would it mean the McWay falls in Julia Pfeiffer state park would be inaccessible as well? I was driving North yesterday and had to track back to 46east to take the 101 to San Fran after visiting Hearst Castle, San Simeon etc. Was planning on going south on Hwy 1 tomorrow and hopefully roads would be cleared by then? If not, I guess I have to drive to Monterrey and down south as much as possible before tracking my way back to 101 again. Experts, your advice much appreciated. Thanks.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

Hopefully K'smom will be along soon but I believe that the stretch between Fullers Point and Lucia does span Julia Pfeiffer Park.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
4. Re: Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

Yes, McWay Falls is NOT accessible right now coming from the north. The slide occurred near Partington Ridge Road and that's above (or north) of Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park.

The slide on the south end near Ragged Point has been cleared, but it will likely be a few days (or more) for them to clear the one near McWay Falls.

Edited: 10:50 am, December 25, 2012
Troy, Michigan
5. Re: Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

Thanks for your quick replies. Do you think it is still worth it to take the time to drive to Monterrey and continue on Hwy one as far down south as possible now before backtracking to hwy101? I guess the drive would still be beautiful. Any other suggested sightseeing stops between san fran and wherever the road block is?

Another side question. I would be driving to Pismo Beach for a night stay tomorrow night. With the current roadblocks in mind, is 101 to West 46 to Hwy 1 still the best route to get to Pismo beach?

Thanks in advance again.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
6. Re: Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

I absolutely believe it's well worth the detour to visit Big Sur despite not being able to see McWay Falls. You could, instead, make the drive down to Pfeiffer Beach, which is another stunning visual feast for the eyes. The turn isn't marked, but it's not too hard to find. It's the first right turn past Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. You'll drive over a bridge level with the road (Crosses the Big Sur River) just before the turn. There's a large yellow sign discouraging RV's from making the drive as it's a narrow twisty drive down to the beach.

You could also enjoy lunch at Nepenthe with a stunning view of the Big Sur coast before backtracking to Monterey and Highway 68 East toward Salinas to meet up with Highway 101.

I see no good reason to take Highway 46 over to Highway 1 to get down to Pismo. Just continue via Highway 101. It will likely be dark by the time you get that far down Highway 101, which would make the 46/1 drive moot.

Troy, Michigan
7. Re: Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

Thanks Kibblesmom. I will be trying out your route suggestion today. Hopefully there are no more rains to make the roads slick.

Alamo, California...
reviews: 2
8. Re: Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

Planning a trip from Bay Area down to San Simion/Cambria/Big Sur in a few weeks. Just a little overnight get away. It hadn't occurred to me that we might encounter rock/mudslides this time of year. Do you know if these road closures are just temporary? (I assume this must be normal this time of year).

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
9. Re: Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

Hwy 1 is open now with controlled one way traffic where the slide occurred. For up to date information about road conditions, check here:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Alamo, California...
reviews: 2
10. Re: Highway 1 Along Big Sur Coast Closed/Slide

Thank you. I will save that link since we aren't leaving for a couple of weeks and who knows what new storms mother nature will throw our way between now and then.