We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur in the rain

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, North...
Big Sur in the rain

We'll be driving from Cambria to Monterey on Sunday Dec. 16 and rain has been forecast for several days now. We'd planned to have lunch at Sierra Mar that day and now I'm wondering if we should go somewhere less expensive. Is there any chance that we'll have a view, or does fog almost always accompany rain?

Thanks!

Edited: 6:46 pm, December 12, 2012
Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
1. Re: Big Sur in the rain

Fog is more of a summer phenomenon, so I wouldn't worry about it on Sunday. It's highly unlikely.

What you do need to worry about is highway conditions between Cambria and Big Sur. Rock/mud slides are a common occurrence along the Big Sur coast during the rainy season, so be sure to check the Caltrans website for any road closures before you start that drive.

reviews: 11
2. Re: Big Sur in the rain

I'm a huge fan of the CA coast in rain shine or fog ! :) I agree that fog is not typically associated with rain. If you have time stop by Pt. Lobos Reserve. It is a fantastic State reserve with resident otters, lots of birds, cypress trees and the classic monterey pine. Enjoy your trip along the coast !

3. Re: Big Sur in the rain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, December 18, 2013