We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy 1 winter driving

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock, AR
reviews: 27
Hwy 1 winter driving

Heard great things about Post Ranch, even managed a New Year reservation. Then heard about possible road closures due to rain and mudslides this time of year. We will be driving to/from SFO or San Jose. It's a lot of money and we will only have 2 days, dont want to spend them stuck on the road. What do you think? Would it be better to put off the visit until a different time of year when weather is more predictable? Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 132
1. Re: Hwy 1 winter driving

It is an amazing place -- the Post Ranch inn and the whole Big Sur Drive and for me personally the rain and the humidity brings a certain mystic with it and everything is green well except for the Ocean.

It is hard to predict today what the weather will be like 3 weeks from now.

yes there are road closures and slides during the winter but we dont' know if and when that will occur and on which part of Hwy 1.

Anyone giving you advise this early is just guessing. I personally would go to Post Ranch and enjoy the surreal experience for New Years.

I presume your airfare is non-refundable, so not sure if you are going to lose money. If it is refundable, I would wait a week or so before flying into the Bay area and check the forecast

Edited: 11:06 pm, December 06, 2012
Little Rock, AR
reviews: 27
2. Re: Hwy 1 winter driving

Thanks for the comments. If we didn't go to Big Sur we would be somewhere else in the Bay area those days. Maybe San Francisco which is always fun, though was hoping for more of a quiet escape. other suggestions within a couple hour drive of San Francisco? Limited more by 2 week cancellation policy of the hotel than the air tickets.

menlo park, ca
reviews: 72
3. Re: Hwy 1 winter driving

I have not made a study of this, but I believe that the road closures occur mainly south of PRI, and it does not occur every year, and when it does it is later in the rainy season. CalTrans continues to improve the road to make it more resistant to slides as they are doing now at Lime Kiln. Also if the road is closed from the north it would still be possible to enter from the south. So i'd suggest that the chances of a closure are very small. Go for it.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 9
4. Re: Hwy 1 winter driving

Keep your rezzie. It's unlikely there will be a road closure preventing you from reaching Big Sur. Most of the closures occur MUCH further down the coast.

Of course, there was that one slip out between Carmel and Big Sur a few years ago, but that happened in March AFTER several months of persistent rainfall where the ground could no longer absorb the water and it slowly eroded the dirt under the road to the point that the southbound lane collapsed.

They are currently working on replacing that lane and are closing the highway between 9 pm and and 7 am, so you would want to make sure you're arriving early enough to make it past that point before they close the road for the night.

PRI is an amazing place to be if a storm is passing through. I agree with dhauk.... Go for it!

5. Re: Hwy 1 winter driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, December 17, 2013