We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late breakfast

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
menlo park, ca
reviews: 66
late breakfast

I took advantage of this past week's perfect weather on the coast to drive down to Big Sur to camp at my favorite campground, which will be nameless to protect it from overcrowding. But I usually I take the makings for breakfast, so I can have pancakes and bacon and tea as the sun lights the tops of the mountains. Perfectly clear nights with an early setting moon, and a good view of the Milky Way all night, something we don't ever see in the city. Even the usual campground raccoons were well behaved and didn't overturn too many garbage cans.

But in the morning of the second day I felt the need for breakfast and headed south stoping first at Gorda by 7 to find the place deserted, not a sign of life. So I drove on another dozen spectacular miles (probably the prettiest part of the entire coast) to Ragged Point, and again found the restaurant closed. So I walked around until 8 when finally it opened. Who ever heard of restaurants not opening until 8, especially in a tourist area?

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
1. Re: late breakfast

".....Who ever heard of restaurants not opening until 8, especially in a tourist area?".......

While Highway 1 is a huge tourist draw, a remote place like Lucia, Gorda and Ragged Point don't see a lot of early AM business.

2. Re: late breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 22, 2013