We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedding july or aug 2013

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
wedding july or aug 2013

Hi! My future hubby and I are looking to get married in Big Sur next July or August.. we have been out there a hand full of times and couldn't think of anywhere better to share this special day:) we are only having the ceremony out there with immediate family (12pp) and are having the reception back at home in MN. I want to show my family why we love it there so much ( which will be obvious once they see it) but am lost on how to make this all happen. We will be staying there definitely fri and sat and want to know the best place to stay on some what of a budget with a nice place for dinner near by. Any ideas??

Minneapolis...
1. Re: wedding july or aug 2013

Also, although this should not be a day to have to please other people I am still wanting to show them why we decided to not get married where all our friends and family are. I want this to be as romantic and special as it can be to make up for the ˝shortage˝ so to speak in guest list

San Francisco...
reviews: 109
2. Re: wedding july or aug 2013

There are several hotels and conference groups that will be happy to plan a wedding for you. Of course, the budget would be key.

One place that I love that might fit your budget would be the Big Sur Lodge at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Check out their website at http://www.bigsurlodge.com/conference-center

If money is not an issue, I would pick the Carmel Highlands Inn overlooking Point Lobos. But be prepared to pay up. …hyatt.com/hyatt/…index.jsp

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
3. Re: wedding july or aug 2013

Good plan Kelly! Destination weddings should be small. My family members aren't speaking to each other after one of our relatives' son married in a very remote location and the family guaranteed a large number of rooms at the resort. Most people couldn't take 3 days out of their lives for the wedding and pre and post parties so the groom's parents started pressuring people to come so that the cost would be defrayed (even though they could afford the hit on their own). The relatives who couldn't afford to or couldn't take the time to come were told we weren't showing "family support." Sigh. Nothing like a wedding to split apart a family.

Back to Big Sur -- It is beautiful and I think there are wedding planners you could contact nearby. The prior suggestions are good. I would also recommend Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn.

Edited: 7:35 pm, October 18, 2012
San Francisco...
reviews: 109
4. Re: wedding july or aug 2013

And for something totally wacky, check out yurts! That would be interesting for a wedding night. And you can have the wedding by the trees or lime kilns at Limekiln State Park. Of course, this has not been tested by me so who knows if it will work. But thought I'd share.

http://treebonesresort.com/

Edited: 7:46 pm, October 18, 2012
Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
5. Re: wedding july or aug 2013

One of our TA's (LosAngelesTravelBug) from LA got married in Big Sur and has great advice for others planning a wedding in this area:

tripadvisor.com/…17015592

Edited: 8:09 pm, October 18, 2012
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
reviews: 36
6. Re: wedding july or aug 2013

Thank you for sharing that post, Kibblesmom. Kelly, congratulations on your engagement, and please let me know what information I can help you with. My husband and I (and our guests) absolutely loved our Big Sur wedding in 2004. Since you have been to Big Sur a handful of times, you probably know about Ventana and Post Ranch Inn, which would be gorgeous spots for a small, intimate wedding. There are also great homes on vrbo.com that can be rented for weddings of that size. Let me know what questions you have.

Minneapolis...
7. Re: wedding july or aug 2013

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and tips! I just got back from a work confrence and am excited to look through the links you all sent... this is a great place for me to start! LSCats, I definitely have reservations about doing this and causing any upsets so to speak.. thank you for sharing your story because I am sure that was terrible to have to deal with! I think the only thing to do is talk to people personally about our idea and assure them we are having a reception back at home to celebrate our marriage.. in the end however, I guess I cant avoid hurting some peoples feelings regardless. Thank you for the support in having an intimate wedding:)

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
8. Re: wedding july or aug 2013

@ LosAngelesTravelBug:

I LOVE that post!! Your description of your wedding day and how your disappointment in your day being fogged in turned into the wedding of your dreams and how you wouldn't change a thing should be required reading for any bride considering a wedding anywhere along the coast.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
reviews: 36
9. Re: wedding july or aug 2013

Awww, thank you, Kibblesmom. :)

San Francisco...
10. Re: wedding july or aug 2013

Congrats on your engagement. Destination weddings can be tricky and I'm glad your considering the total costs to guest. We once had to miss a destination wedding cuz we were saving for a house (and I had little vacay saved since I had a new job) So instead of sharing in their joy, there were bad feelings. Anyway, I hope this works and the idea of renting a house or two sounds great (some rentals are on a weekly basis. Just an FYI.) We once stayed in a cottage that had a deck w/ an ocean view that you could rent for small weddings (found on Craigslist) Glad you want to share Big Sur. Hope the wedding works but if the logistics don't work, you can always come later as a family vacay.