We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur in hours..

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
13 posts
Big Sur in hours..

Hi

We are currently in Monterey and have to be in San Fran for 5pm tomooro (Thursday). Only finding out now that we can't leave this area without seeing big sur! So what is the est way/ location to go to tomorrow to take as much in as possible and then head up to San Fran.

Thanks for replies

CB

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
11,153 posts
82 reviews
1. Re: Big Sur in hours..

I would head south on Hwy 1 right after breakfast. Stop at Point Lobos for an hour or 2. Drive south as far as Nepethe, stopping here and there along the way, planning to be there for lunch. Then make your way back.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
13,914 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Big Sur in hours..

Be aware you'll run into rush hour traffic on your way to SF after 3 pm.

Dublin, Ireland
13 posts
3. Re: Big Sur in hours..

Thanks for replies.

Unfamiliar with sf traffic, how long am I looking at to get into union sq would you think? Or how long would the traffic increase my journey by?

Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,452 posts
142 reviews
4. Re: Big Sur in hours..

http://goo.gl/maps/8ZZl5 It is over a 3 hour drive without heavy traffic and you can avoid most of it by leaving around 1pm. and by taking hwy 280 as shown in the Google maps. You may hit some closer to the city if you leave later say about 30 mins or so not much more if you want to be there by 5

Edited: 1:32 am, October 04, 2012
Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
16,495 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Big Sur in hours..

You MUST leave the Big Sur area BY 1:00 pm or you won't make it to SF by 5:00 pm!! Get an early start in the morning to maximize your time.

The fastest route back to SF is Highway 1 north to Highway 156 East to Highway 101 north to Highway 85 north to I-280 north. Sounds complicated, but it's not.

Edited: 1:46 pm, October 04, 2012
6. Re: Big Sur in hours..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, December 14, 2013