We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hike should we eliminate?

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago Illinois
reviews: 29
Which hike should we eliminate?

We are traveling up highway 1. This is our itinerary between Cambria and Big Sur.

Piedras blancas light station tour. (not sure how long that takes) Swing back to Sebastion's to get sandwiches for picnic. Photo stop at Ragged point inn.

Hike Pacific Valley Bluff hike. .7 miles then on to Mcway falls hike .64 miles. Photo stops at Pfeiffer state beach and Big Sur Station. Then ihopefully Pfeiffer falls hike. This is longer at 2.4 miles. Check into Ripplewood Resort and drive to Nepenthe for dinner.

This sounds like alot and I am afraid we may have to cut out something. Should we eliminate one of the hikes? if so which one? or should we skip the lighthouse tour and go straight to the first hike. If so, is there another place to stop for sandwiches along the way? Also, is Nepenthe casual or dressy? i.e. will we need to change after our hikes?

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
1. Re: Which hike should we eliminate?

Absolutely swing back to Sebastian's for sandwiches!! You won't find anything along the route up the coast as good as Sebastian's.

Depending on your start time, I think your plans are quite doable.

Not sure if Nepenthe diners dress up for dinner or not. I know lunch is casual. Perhaps you can email them to see if they have a dress code for dinner.

Don't know if you'll need to change after hiking or not. Guess it depends on how much you sweat or if your clothes get dirty. Just keep an eye open for poison oak. It helps to stay as centered on the trail as possible. Long pants HIGHLY suggested.

Chicago Illinois
reviews: 29
2. Re: Which hike should we eliminate?

Thanks for the support. It is so hard to plan when you have no idea how long it takes to do things and I don't want to just rush through everything.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
3. Re: Which hike should we eliminate?

Well, if it helps, San Simeon to the "village" area of Big Sur is only a 2 hour drive without stops, so that gives you an idea of how much play time you have to enjoy the hikes and sights on the drive up.

4. Re: Which hike should we eliminate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, December 14, 2013