We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pfeiffer Beach

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rural Valley, PA
reviews: 12
Pfeiffer Beach

While doing my research I read one of the most beautiful and unique beaches in the Big Sur area is Pfeiffer Beach. This beach is very hard to find, not marked at all, but oh my gosh is all I can say about it.

Going south after you pass the General Store in Big Sur, take the first paved road (about a mile) south, up the hill. Just as you turn on this road there is a sign that says narrow road. Then about a mile or so in there is a sign Pfeiffer Beach State Park. Continue on this 1 lane at many times, deserted road to what you think is no where for about another mile. Finally you come to a toll booth. The fee is $5. Pay the fee and park, then walk down the path through the trees. It opens up to the most amazing ocean cove with purple sand! From what I read the water that runs off of the mountains creates this purple color. It is just a skim of purple on the sand at the far end, but beautiful! The rocks the waves crash over and though the holes in the rocks are so beautiful. I just walked around for about an hour enjoying this breathtaking site.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 9
11. Re: Pfeiffer Beach

@ Peaceout.....

There is no signage coming from the south. There "may" be a sign indicating the left turn ahead with the usual turned over T sign. The best way to find the turn is to look for the U.S. Post Office to your left as you drive through the"village" area of Big Sur and watch for the first left turn after you pass it. If you reach Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park first, you know you've passed it. You can easily turn around and look for the turn once you pass the level with the highway bridge over the Big Sur River. The road turns at an angle and you'll see a yellow sign saying RV's not Allowed.

Edited: 9:36 pm, March 24, 2013
Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 9
12. Re: Pfeiffer Beach

Here's what the turn looks like coming from the north (Just in case you originally pass it):

…about.com/od/…beach_pfeiffer.htm

Edited: 9:44 pm, March 24, 2013
Portland, OR
reviews: 2
13. Re: Pfeiffer Beach

Wow! Thanks a bunch you beautiful helpful people!!! Now this is WHY I LOVE tripadvisor!!!

Eastbourne, England
reviews: 215
14. Re: Pfeiffer Beach

Another vote of thanks ... great beach ... glad I found out about it.

15. Re: Pfeiffer Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 02, 2014