We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 45
Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Hello! I just a week ago returned from a glorious eight day trip down the Central CA coastline, from Half Moon Bay, just south of San Francisco, all the way to Pismo Beach. Most of my report focuses on the Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel area, where I spent five days. Then there's more with my two days of adventures further south along the awesome Big Sur coastline. There are photos, with explanatory captions, that might help you make choices for your own travels, if you are perhaps planning a similar trip ... or just want to reminisce from earlier adventures.

If you are only interested in the Big Sur part of my trip, those images begin with photo # 156. But if you're interested in Point Lobos, as well, those images are earlier in the album.

Please go, if interested, to ...

Picasaweb.google.com/mjneenan

and then click on the Monterey/Big Sur, June 2011 album. If you would like the images to fill up your monitor, click on the "full screen" icon in the upper left corner and then hit F11 on your keyboard, to completely fill your screen. You can alternate between "hide" and "show" captions, if my sometimes lengthy comments get in the way of the photo. I, by all means, mean this report to be a conversation starter with anybody actively planning a trip to to the Central CA coast. I have done similar such photo trip reports in the last few years and have enjoyed interactions with TripAdvisor posters. I will try to answer your queries within a day or so. If I have labeled any place or animal or plant in error, I welcome any corrections!

What a glorious place ... I LOVED it there!

Mike

MA
reviews: 11
31. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

oops I think that I post ed the wrong link for CA: Here is the correct one:)

https:/…CaliforniaTripOct2012

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 45
32. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Littlebenn, Thanks for sharing your links - I looked through your photos - very nice! From your CA coastal shots, I got to see some areas I didn't get to - ah, there is SO much to see there! ... I had the great pleasure of getting to spend three weeks one summer at Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor - I was out there for a coastal ecology course that the College of Atlantic runs. Needless to say, I fell in love with that part of Maine. My wife and son joined me for a week, as well. Since then, I have always wanted to go there in October, but with a teacher's schedule, it's difficult to travel in the autumn for more than a weekend. Your images certainly show off well how beautiful the fall color is in Maine a that time of year. How lucky you are to be on the west coast for gorgeous sunsets one week and amazing sunrises in Acadia the very next week!

And thanks for your warm words about my CA images and captions ... it is my pleasure.

Newburgh, New York
reviews: 48
33. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Thank you so much for this post. We are doing a coastal trip in April for 10 days so this will be most helpful.

We still havent planned our exact plan of action so I will use this to help us....we are starting in LA and leaving from San Fran. We love to hike so Big Sur is high on our lists of thinks to see/do.

Thanks! :)

Shelley

Princeton NJ
reviews: 33
34. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Thank you so much for posting the line to your photos on TA. They are just breathtaking and I can't wait until October when we take that route on the way to our granddaughter's wedding in Paso Robles.

35. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2014