We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 45
Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Hello! I just a week ago returned from a glorious eight day trip down the Central CA coastline, from Half Moon Bay, just south of San Francisco, all the way to Pismo Beach. Most of my report focuses on the Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel area, where I spent five days. Then there's more with my two days of adventures further south along the awesome Big Sur coastline. There are photos, with explanatory captions, that might help you make choices for your own travels, if you are perhaps planning a similar trip ... or just want to reminisce from earlier adventures.

If you are only interested in the Big Sur part of my trip, those images begin with photo # 156. But if you're interested in Point Lobos, as well, those images are earlier in the album.

Please go, if interested, to ...

Picasaweb.google.com/mjneenan

and then click on the Monterey/Big Sur, June 2011 album. If you would like the images to fill up your monitor, click on the "full screen" icon in the upper left corner and then hit F11 on your keyboard, to completely fill your screen. You can alternate between "hide" and "show" captions, if my sometimes lengthy comments get in the way of the photo. I, by all means, mean this report to be a conversation starter with anybody actively planning a trip to to the Central CA coast. I have done similar such photo trip reports in the last few years and have enjoyed interactions with TripAdvisor posters. I will try to answer your queries within a day or so. If I have labeled any place or animal or plant in error, I welcome any corrections!

What a glorious place ... I LOVED it there!

Mike

San Diego...
reviews: 29
1. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Thank you for the report and the beautiful photos. The captions really enhance them.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 747
2. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Always a treat to see your newest batch of photos, Mike :-)

Dallas
3. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Breathtaking views, do you mind telling me which camera you used? Thanks!!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 45
4. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

I use a Nikon dSLR (the type that accepts various lens) - a D7000 ... it's a newer model that is very good in low light. I use primarily an 18-135mm zoom lens for most shots, a 10-20mm super wide angle lens for many landscapes ... and for wildlife shots, like on the whale watch and the Elkhorn Slough safari, I use a 100-300mm telephoto zoom. ... Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Kentwood, Michigan
5. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Wow - beautiful photos and it gives us some extra ideas of what to do on our upcoming trip to California at the end of August.

Thanks so much!

Dallas
6. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Thank you very much :)

Brighton, Michigan
reviews: 71
7. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

BEAUTIFUL shots -- thanks for sharing -- can't wait to go next June !

Solon, OH
reviews: 22
8. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing them and the captions. We have a trip planned to this area for mid August and the pictures were great to show the family what to expect. Thank you again for sharing !!

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

lovely photos! the kelp display is inside Monterey Bay Aquarium?

reviews: 708
10. Re: Big Sur Trip Report ... Photos and Captions

Very nice! We were in Half Moon Bay this past December to celebrate an anniversary, we stayed at The Ritz-Carlton, it was amazing! Thank you for sharing your photos here, they are very pretty. :)