We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

california round trip

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 1
california round trip

travelling from ireland for 3 week vacation in july / august.

SF for a few days first, then down coast highway, santa barbara,LA, maybe Vegas, then Yosemite and back into SF.

we have 3 teenagers (16,13 and 11 but he acts like a teenager)

will it be difficult to find family rooms or suites for 5 outside of major cities? Big Sur area seems to be a problem accomodation wise?

budget would be mid-range

any advice appreciated.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
1. Re: california round trip

Unless you're prepared for cabin camping in Big Sur, you're not going to find appropriate accommodations for your family. Big Sur lodging is either VERY expensive and exclusive to couples only or VERY rustic cabin or tent camping.

I suggest staying in Monterey where you will find several lodging options that offer suites for your family and then enjoying Big Sur as you travel down the coast.

If your teens are well behaved, you might consider Treebones Resort several miles south of the town of Big Sur. Treebones is yurt camping in a communal atmosphere. They do welcome older well behaved children, but want visitors with children to be aware that this remote area draws people looking for spiritual retreats from the stresses of everyday life or illness.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
reviews: 8
2. Re: california round trip

I agree that there's a sharp dichotomy between most lodging in Big Sur, but I think the Big Sur Lodge is fine for families. I've stayed there before, and, while not luxurious, the place is clean, the grounds are well-kept, and there's a pool. Moreover, kids are not only permitted, but welcomed. The Lodge specifically plans "campfire" activities during the summer for kids, as indicated on its website:

www.bigsurlodge.com/campfire_program.html

Here's a Big Sur goList that may give you more ideas.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i14592-Big_Sur_…

San Francisco...
3. Re: california round trip

Please visit the DRIVING DIRECTIONS page geocities.com/touringsfo/…DriveDir.html It's augmented by reports linked to the TouringSFO site at http://geocities.com/touringsfo/ entitled "A Trip to Las Vegas…" and "A Trip to Anaheim…" Also a page entitled A BIT OF NON-GAMBLING LAS VEGAS that includes a link for activities for youths.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
4. Re: california round trip

Summer is a very busy tourist season in that area so I'd make resrvations along that route. Just showing up and spending time looking for an appropriate room at the end of the day is not a good idea in that season.

Dublin, Ireland
5. Re: california round trip

really useful information

thanks very much

Essex
reviews: 54
6. Re: california round trip

We have just returned home after driving from SFto LA stopping at San Diego. We stayed in Pacific Grove which is lovely, and has a great mexican restaurant, very cheap, kid friendly,and loads to eat. We stayed in places using the Rough guide to California. The Rosedale Inn in Pacific Grove was excellant,and we have 2 children 13 and 11.Assume you will need to book in Summer but this time of year was not problem and very cheap.From there we drove Big Sur in one day and stopped in Cambria again lovely town.Santa Barbara was good and stayed in Harbor View Inn.Seemed to be lots of places to stay, but in summer not sure.HWY 1 was not busy either. Sure you will have a great trip.Make sure you have satnav definately worth it with rental car especially if going into LA.

7. Re: california round trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 25, 2009