We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report back from trip, 8/1

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chapel Hill, NC
reviews: 134
Report back from trip, 8/1

We did the drive through Big Sur last week. Aside from the usual wows, the following is some of what we discovered:

1. Julia Pfeiffer park is NOT to be missed. The very short walk to the small McWay Falls rewards you with one of the most beautiful coves I have ever seen. Easily rivals any beauty on the Mediterranean. Wow. Contrary to what anyone says, you cannot legally get down onto the beach here. And bring loose bills ($5's & $1's, since there's no one to collect day use fees, a process which is not seemingly well managed).

2. Pfeiffer Beach is another gem. A very scary drive down here gets you to a small parking lot and a large (for the area) and nicely sandy area with great rock formations and large crashing waves. Perfect place for a picnic.

3. View from Nepenthe is great. But SO much cheaper and SO much more relaxed is the cafe just downstairs - with literally the same view. People were waiting upstairs for a table with the view. Downstairs we got a small bottle of wine and had the place nearly to ourselves.

4. Traffic on a weekday in August was no problem. I was within 100 feet behind someone while driving less than 10% of the time, free to go any safe speed I desired, slowing down when needed, and cruisng along when not.

5. The Redwoods in Big Sur do not compare to those in Armstrong Park (see below).

I also posted this in the Sonoma forum but it was answered here as well: Puter suggested Armstrong Woods, and that was one of the best suggestions of all. Once I saw the "Muir Woods Parking Full" sign after the GG Bridge and said to my wife, "wel'll drive the extra hour each way out of the way and go to Armstrong instead." What a great idea - and we also got to have a great meal in Guerneville, as well. Yeah, a very gay-friendly town (my wife said she was the only woman at the place we ate, BobnBoy, with the best burger I have had in years), but we thought it was super friendly and idyllic in its beauty.

Again - wow.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
1. Re: Report back from trip, 8/1

jahausa,

I love your trip reports. See my reply to you on the Sonoma trip in that forum.

I also love Chapel Hill. We visited when our daughter was living there, getting her Master's Degree in Environmental Planning at UNC.

It sounds as if you really enjoyed your trip. That makes all of us feel good <grin>.

2. Re: Report back from trip, 8/1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 03, 2009