We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at EDR

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carlisle
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Beach at EDR

We have just booked for November at the EDR. Did not read all the reviews beforehand. Totally gutted that people have posted the beach/sea is too rocky. Is this the case? Hope not as we are not really pool people. Been to Cancun a few times and never experienced not being able to swim in sea. Comments appreciated.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
483 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Beach at EDR

This is by no means the best beach in the Riviera, but the resort is great.

You can still swim here, the beach is very long stretch. They have a man made reef of sandbags, which they are currently replacing with a new reef over the next year.

The service on the beach is great, and never hard to find a place to lounge... Beach Butlers if you are in the Casitas.

I've been to this resort 3X, and going back next month.

Don't go in expecting Maroma, but you can still swim, snorkel and walk as you please.

Have a great time!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
52,604 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Beach at EDR

As you will see from the photos much of it is rocky and when we were there they also had large beach whales just offshore

There is a sandy area in front of Jo Jo's

Carlisle
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Beach at EDR

Thanks for your comments.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Beach at EDR

We were there in September and had no problems with the beach at all- wide, clean, no rocks that got in our way. The 'beached whales" are an artificial barrier reef system I think and it was no big deal at all. One very unique 'swim" area was an enclosed salt water "pool" with a sandy bottom that we enjoyed quite a bit with almost no one there the week we were. Its right next to the Health bar near the Casitas (?) section. We would go again in a heartbeat.

GTA
Level Contributor
423 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Beach at EDR

EDR is unique as a resort in the area with 1.5 km of private beachfront. Much more than other places. Over that length the beach characteristics vary, quite interestingly. I liked the various beach options to choose from. There are private areas, rocky areas, sandy areas, and swimable areas. The beach whales (sand bags in the ocean) are not perfect, but not a deal breaker to me. Add in palapas which most newer resorts don't have and I enjoyed the beach there. Take a look through the traveller beach pictures (many, not few) and see what you think.

Edited: 12:01 pm, July 28, 2014
Lemont, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Beach at EDR

We are here now in the Casitas section 31. The beach sand in front of our area is not rocky, but shortly in the water the reef rocks are there, but by no means did this deter from our experience. I've been to Turks and Caicos and had glass smooth water and sugar sand beach and while this was not quite one's "perfect" beach, we loved every day of it. For us what made it great was that we can grab a lounger or cabana on the Casitas section every day as there were plenty available. I can't give you much info on the Royale side as we didn't use the pool or beach toward that side, but that was where all the "action" seemed to be. Casitas side felt more relaxed and less crowded. This was our first time here and we are planning to return again in November.

Edited: 10:54 pm, August 02, 2014
7. Re: Beach at EDR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 04, 2015