We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel El Cid

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 17
Hotel El Cid

Getting very excited about our vacation this week! Had a few questions and as much as I research and get some answers, I feel the need to ask!

Hotel El Cid-

Platinum Booking

1. Can you request a particular butler?

2. Has anyone not had ocean view rooms? I have requested "full" ocean view on upper level. (should that cover it?)

3. Do I call to verify?

4. What are some of the special things the butler has done for folks and what is the typical tip? Tip for each occasion or at the end of your stay?

5. Does El Cid offer use of snorkel gear free of charge ?

6. How dressy is dinner? Will a nice pair of khaki pants with a polo and flip flops work or does it need to be dressier?

Items to pack for convenience:

Large cups for drinks, Are the hotel cups small?

Straws for our fruity drinks or maybe just bring a larger cup with one of the attached straws?

Water shoes, sun hats

Any other suggestions???

Looking forward to a great week!

9 replies to this topic
MD - USA
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 51
1. Re: Hotel El Cid

Did not have platinum but I will try to help on some other stuff.

5) I did not see it if they do.

6) Dinner was the most casual I have ever seen. I did not eat at the Marina but all others were ultra casual.

Typical size resort cups so pretty small.

If you need a big cup or a straw bring one. The resort does not allow straws at the pool so you may need to have one attached to the cup.

Water shoes would be a big plus for beach swimming. Hat is preference.

Some people like to buy those rope things that keep money and room key dry like a necklace when swimming.

Go to town and enjoy it.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
reviews: 40
2. Re: Hotel El Cid

No snorkel gear.

Casual dress @ the Marina , no flip flops though, I wore dockers , a polo shirt and a casual running shoes.

Bring a Bubba Mug....

texas
reviews: 2
3. Re: Hotel El Cid

Just got back from El Cid last night.

1, do not know

2, I had Platinum Club, oceanfront room on 4th floor in building 15, truly awesome room, much more than just oceanview.

3,Just email the hotel and request a room in 14, 15, or 17, they are mostly all oceanfront.

4, The butler will help with a tour, luggage, drinks in the frig, pillows, aromatherapy, reservations for palapas and dinner, and any other special request you have, I tipped when I had him do something. I would recommend going thru the butler for anything other than the front desk.

5, They do not have snorkel gear.

6, Dinner is not that dressy at all, most attire is fine.

7, They do have straws but some beach bars may not.

If you want to go further than knee deep on the beach you will need water shoes.

Try to get pesos at the airport, I could not get them in Puerto Morelos at the atms.

DC
reviews: 30
4. Re: Hotel El Cid

Hi, what is the cost for Platinum and is it worth it?? Going on Saturday. Thanks.

Also, any luck on snorkel gear?

DC
5. Re: Hotel El Cid

Hi, we (family of 4...2 teens) are heading to El Cid on Saturday. It seems as if Platinum is not worth it except for wifi which seems available in the lobby anyway. However, I was wondering about Palapas...are they only available for Platinum level?? If you know the answer, thanks!

reviews: 31
6. Re: Hotel El Cid

If you really like to snorkel I'd suggest you consider taking your own equipment. At least the mask and snorkel. See if you can still set up a pick up at the El Cid dock to snorkel the PM reef. Enjoy!

DC
7. Re: Hotel El Cid

Thanks...one daughter has a set that I guess we'll take. Other than that I guess we will just rent when needed.

texas
8. Re: Hotel El Cid

Platinum was well worth the amount I paid which was only $200 for 5 nights, it gave us an oceanfront room on the fourth floor of building 14, that alone was worth the cost for the room upgrade. Being able to have personal service from the Platinum club and never having to deal with the front desk was also a big plus, not counting the other perks, my kids loved going to the Platinum lounge each evening to use the computers as well.

They do not have snorkel equipment for you to use or rent, if you want it for the hotel, take your own. If you go on a snorkel trip they will supply you the equipment.

kalamazoo, mi
9. Re: Hotel El Cid

Hi mohuntertexas

Did you pay the $200 for platinum before you arrived or when you arrived?

Reply to: Hotel El Cid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted