We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to help the village while you are here?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
10 reviews
Want to help the village while you are here?

The charity is deeply grateful to those people who have contributed to the schools and free public clinic - if you can help while you are here the hard working and underpaid people at the clinic and who operate the local ambulance are in need of basic supplies, call me 998 2518060 and we can pick up at your hotel or you can drop in at Casa Caribe/The Little Mexican Cooking School to drop off.

These are things they need : Sterile and non-sterile gauzes and bandages of different measures, dressings different sizes, neck collars for restraint of different sizes, head immobilisers, extraction jacket, portable pulse oximeters, sugar monitors, blood pressure monitors, stethoscopes, set of laringoscopes, canulas for throat and ear, different size syringes, catheters, portable heart monitor, basic medicines - tablets and injections - stretcher and wheel chairs

I know its a lot but they service a lot of people and do not get supplies from the government to cover their needs - anything you can do will be greatly appreciated

Catriona

El Mundo para Puerto Morelos SC

Conway, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Want to help the village while you are here?

I just sent you a message for input on specific sizes of materials that I could bring on my honeymoon in July. thanks for the opportunity to help!

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Want to help the village while you are here?

I have just sent a message to the paramedics to get your answer!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Coba
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Want to help the village while you are here?

When my mom passed away we had an abundance of medical supplies which we donated locally (it was months before we would be in Mexico and didn't think about that) but is something to consider if you are in that circumstance. Thanks Cat for the suggestion.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,191 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Want to help the village while you are here?

On another forum someone was asking about a lightweight beach blanket to bring for carry on only travel . Here's a related reply .

We have been using a synthetic shower curtain . It's made of nylon or some other synthetic fabric . Very light weight , dries quickly , good size . Mine was purchased at a thrift store for a buck and even has sea shells on it . Re use is good and will likely be re used by someone else if left behind in Mexico . Disposable in a good way .

Speaking of thrift shops and carry on only travel , we recently brought down a thrift shop suitcase full of thrift shop donations because United airlines has a one free bag policy and we could get by with one shared full sized rolling suitcase between us . We left the bag and the goods behind . I'm a junk man by nature so finding free and cheap treasures was easy . The majority of my hand me downs would be too grande for most Mayans but charity thrift shops in your towns might weigh and fill the bags for you . You can also bring items that you might use one last time or two and then donate . Shoes of all types are good in this way and appreciated .

I know that carry on only can be done for speed away from the airport but often times the bags are ready by the time you clear customs and the first janitor you see , making around twelve dollars a day , will make good use of the suitcase and it's contents or perhaps staff at a condo . We bring a dollar store paring knife and a few small sized cheapo medications for emergencies and are happy to have not needed them and leave them behind as well . I have used Dollar store dextramathorphan cough syrup at home and it seems as effective as high priced brands . I noticed cough syrup in the Akumal Pueblo was 90 pesos and wondered how working families could afford this . A couple of extra bottles of cough syrup is a nice thing to leave behind as well . A fellow traveller was hacking away on the plane home from Mexico one time and I gave him my remaining cough syrup . So a forty cent gift . After chatting for a while he invited us to stay at his house in Anaheim if we ever wanted to do Disneyland .

If a person had to pay for an extra bag then they might just as well tip more generously than pay for the bag of donations but if you have some free bag allowance fill an old suitcase and leave it all behind .

EDIT , I guess you can't give anything to someone at an airport or they'll think you're a terrorista but you get the idea .

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Want to help the village while you are here?

Answer for sizes: "so the numbers we use most of catheters ARE # 18,20,22.

THE NUMBERS syringes are 3ml, 5ml, 10ml, and insulin"

Yes please check with your airline and see if they have a charity allowance as I said we are happy to come to hotels near Puerto Morelos or you can drop in at the hotel CAsa Caribe.

Do not give large quantities of clothing to just anybody they may just end up being sold and not go where they are most needed. Any new or second hand supplies for educational or sport purposes for children are always appreciated too - more information at www.emppm.com

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Want to help the village while you are here?

Also if anyone has crutches in their cupboard at home they always need those at the clinic and the rehab centre

Conway, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: Want to help the village while you are here?

Hi catinmexico,

I sent you a message but thought you might watch the forum, too. I am at ERC now through 7/7 with a big bag of medical supplies to donate. What do I do with them? You mentioned before that someone could come pick them up?

Sheri

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
124 reviews
8. Re: Want to help the village while you are here?

I am going to check with my airline right away. Both wife and I work at a hospital and we donate tons to World Medical Relief.

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Want to help the village while you are here?

Thank you Jeff that will be great. let me know what the airline says?

PIXIEDUSTgirl - thank you very much for the supplies, I delivered them to the clinic first thing Monday morning, they were delighted.

medical and school supplies always welcome here

best

cat

emppm

thelittlemexicancookingschool

cascaribepuertomorelos

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
577 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Want to help the village while you are here?

For that matter, for anyone who wants to donate but can't bring the donations personally, send me a PM here and I can probably mule it down for you. I travel back and forth about once per month, and right now I get free checked bags but I don't need to carry anything myself.