We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days between battambang and phnom penh

Oraison, France
reviews: 86
2 days between battambang and phnom penh

hello

We will have two days travelling from battambang to phnom penh by bus

and want to make a stop 2 nights between this two places

where would it be better and may be easier to stop ... in pursat or kampong chhnang

we like the countryside, rice pads, rural villages and also nice places with local life and restaurants

thank you for your help

1 reply
Sydney
1. Re: 2 days between battambang and phnom penh

Where to begin?

Kg Chhnang: There is a great deal to do and to see in and around Kampong Chhnang although the choice of decent hotels here is limited and this is a town and an area I spend rather a lot of time in because of my interests and friendships with the traditional Khmer potters. However, there is far more than traditional pottery villages to be seen here and even though it is just over two hours drive by car from Phnom Penh it is worth an overnight stop over. The floating communes here are an interesting visit provided you take one of the very small rowed boats which takes you inside and among the floating "contraptions" rather than the large powered boats that can only take you around the floating communes but are not allowed inside them. The small wood boats are rowed by very small Vietnamese floating commune women who stand up to row.

In fact, for Kg Chhnang area the small, as available, Tourist Assistants team arrange long all day trips to this area that packs a lot into the all day trip for those that are fit and active.

Pursat: The provincial town of this name, is somewhat the opposite of Kg Chhnang in that it has several good modern hotels with very few patrons at all. Pursat has virtually become a refuelling and food stopping point for those in transit between Battambang and Phnom Penh and there is little incentive or encouragement to stop over night in this town being, as it is, only one hour's drive from Kg Chhnang and circa three hours from Phnom Penh. But the best place to eat by far on the trip between BTB and PNH is just on the Battambang side of Pursat town. Unfortunately, the former marble and soap stone carving of this area is now only a shadow of its former self. Pursat is also a jumping off point for the Cardomon Mountains. Pursat is also a town and area that I know moderately well as it falls in to the southern region of the authorised catchment area of the Battambang Ophthalmic Care - BOC - Cambodian NGO - providing total eye care services to the rural poor that I am associated with. In fact I was in Pursat again less than five weeks ago.

If in Battambang, I would encourage a visit to the BOC almost in the centre of town and opposite Wat Piphithearm and only a one/two minutes walk from the main market, Psar Nat, and the making of a suitable donation to assist their work. You will be highly impressed at the efficiency of the small team of young Khmer men and women and their sight saving work. Please PM = Personal Message me for more information if interested.

I hope that this thumb nail sketch is of some assistance?

Best regards. Ian

Reply to: 2 days between battambang and phnom penh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kampong Chhnang...