We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

Which Province of Asti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bergen, Norway
reviews: 77
Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

Hi,

I'm visiting Nizza Monferrato for three weeks, and I have booked my ticket back to Norway from Nice. Now I'm trying to plan the best (most fun/scenic) way to travel from Nizza Monferrato to Nice, do you have any suggestions? Is there anything particular to see along the journey there? I have a hotel reservation in Nice from June 9th-11th, so obviously I would have to arrive on the 9th, but I could leave Nizza on the 7th or 8th.

Thank you!

11 replies to this topic
South Australia
reviews: 11
1. Re: Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

Trains Nizza Monferrato to Ventimiglia www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times

Trains Ventimiglia to Nice www.voyages-sncf.com

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

The shortest route to Ventimiglia (the Trenitalia website shows you where to change) requires changes in Acqui Terme and Savona. You could break your journey at any of the many small resorts along the coast between Savona and Ventimiglia - for example Finale Ligure, Alassio or San Remo, and enjoy the italian seaside.

A slightly longer route is via Genoa, with a change at Genova Piazza Principe. If you want a taste of a bigger city, go there http://www.visitgenoa.it/en/homepage

Ventimiglia is called Vintimille on many versions of the voyages-sncf website - these frequent French trains require no advance purchase and have no reserved seats.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
reviews: 78
3. Re: Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

Since you are flying out of Nice airport, the twice daily bus from Genoa to Nice airport might be a good choice: …idbus.com/it/schedule/genova---nizza/338451

Nizza M. to Genoa is an easy 2 hour train ride (get off at Genoa's Piazza Principe station - the bus departs just outside the station).

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
4. Re: Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

However as you have hotel reservations in Nice for two nights, the bus may not be a good idea - you'll have to backtrack into Nice from the airport, the fast buses to do that are expensive (€6) while the overall journey time will usually be slower than the train and is much less frequent.

Minneapolis...
5. Re: Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

I'm going to jump in this post as I'm looking to travel from Nice to Nizza Monferrato on July 31. I can't figure out the websites posted above - all I need to know is how much it is (economy/basic class is fine), how long it takes, how often or when it leaves and can I just buy the tickets on the spot instead of online reservations? (with the summer rush and all).

cheers x,

Lindsay

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
6. Re: Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

As 'all' you want to know depends on what route you are taking, what your departure time is and what type of trains you take, the only way to get the answers is to look at the websites yourself.

From Ventimiglia to Nizza Monferrato use www.trenitalia.com - click the UK flag for English first, use a date before June 14 (later dates will be online by then are likely to be the same or similar) and use a date this week to see the cost as fares for Regional trains are only shown online within seven days of travel.

From Nice Ville to Vintimille (Ventimiglia) is simpler - takes 50 minutes and costs €7.50, allow 30 minutes to change at Ventimiglia in case of a late-running French train. But still safer to look up times as although they're usually every 30 minutes there are some gaps.

Advance reservations are not possible on most of these trains as they have no reserved seats. The only exception is if you decide to use an Intercity rather than a Regional train between Ventimiglia and Savona or Genoa. You'll probably be alright to buy an Intercity on the day on the 31st, but the following three days are the only days in the whole of this year when some or all of these trains are likely to sell out.

Minneapolis...
7. Re: Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

Thank you - that's very helpful! I was able to look at sample times and prices so that helps my trip planning.

When you say that advance reservations are not possible, do you mean that I cannot buy either of the tickets for the routes online in advance? I tested clicking through on a route on www.trenitalia.com and it looks like I can buy tickets online (within the 7 day window you mentioned). So I need a bit of clarification.

Why will the train tickets sell out on the first 3 days of August? I know the Swiss national holiday is August 1st, is that why?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
8. Re: Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

Reservations are for reserved seats. Regional and TER Trains do not have them. Advance purchase is different.

You can buy Italian Regionale tickets in advance online if you want, but

a) you'll have to register on the website using an italian address

b) there's no price reduction and

c) the tickets are issued for a specific train time and for four hours after, whereas if you buy them in italy (e.g. from the booking office or a ticket machine in Ventimiglia) they are OK on any regional train for 60 days and for six hours after validation.

The French TER tickets also have no price reduction, and can't be bought online as self-print tickets, though you can buy in advance for delivery by post or buy at a station. If the latter, make sure to specify a date as these tickets are issued for one day only and are OK up to midnight, and they also require validation before boarding.

The first three days of August this year is the weekend when most French people will be starting their one month August holiday. More usually it's the last weekend in July.

Edited: 12:14 pm, May 28, 2014
Minneapolis...
9. Re: Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

Thank you. So since I don't get any price reduction and don't have an Italian address, I can and should just purchase both Italian Regionale and French TER tickets at the train station(s). Correct?

Can I buy both at the Nice train station or do I have to grab the Italian tickets at the station in Vintimille?

Also - I did travel on some Italian trains in 2010 but I need a refresher - when you said validated, do I need to buy the ticket and then get it stamped BEFORE I get on the train or while I'm on the train?

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
reviews: 78
10. Re: Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato

Before boarding.

Reply to: Traveling to Nice from Nizza Monferrato
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of Asti