We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Which Kota Kinabalu District hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sligo, Ireland
Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

My fiancée and I have booked (provisionally) 14 nights in the Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort Kota Kinabalu, Borneo for our honeymoon in December. I am kind of having second thoughts about the hotel. From the review sites I have seen it is lovely but my main concern is its remoteness. I was hoping that people that might know the hotel might be able to give me some advice. My concern is its location, how remote is it? We don't have the money to be paying lunch and dinner every day in the resort (we are supposed to stay 14 nights), are there little places/restaurants/towns nearby? I have holidayed a lot in SE Asia in the last 10 years but not this part.

Also, is malaria a concern it this region? My previous experience with anti-malaria drugs was larium 10 years ago in north Thailand, they drove me nuts.

I appreciate any advice people can offer.

20 replies to this topic
Sydney
reviews: 30
11. Re: Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

I was the one that posted the Rat infestation question. Some say there is a problem, other not.

Latest travellers reviews have not mentioned rats so hopefully it is not much of a problem.

U.K.
reviews: 8
12. Re: Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

I think you probably made a good decision you get the best of both worlds and a nice relaxing break at the end at Rasa Ria.

Don't worry about the weather you'll see enough sun while your there.....well I hope so anyway as I will be there myself at that time.

Rats you get them in every country including Asia but they are not going to be chasing down the road it's quite possible you might see the odd one especially around the food market areas but they pretty much stay out of your way.

Now go enjoy your honeymoon I'm sure you'll have a great time in Sabah the country is great and so are the people..

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
reviews: 93
13. Re: Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Hi goodest_teecher,

I was born and raised in Sabah, when i stumble across the rats issue, i was pretty surprise. After walking on Kota Kinabalu Street for so many years, i have only seen one rat with my own eyes, that was along Gaya Street, one morning.

I do believe there are many of them under these old buildings, but it is not as bad as how one could imagine. There isn't rats running around the street, maybe yes, just 1 or 2 occasionally.

As for the weather, the weather has been pretty unpredictable these days. It has been raining these few weeks. And strong wind too. Island activities is not advisable. Dec/Jan is projected to be monsoon season. So be expected to see rainfall as well. But the rain in Sabah does not last more than 1 hour or two.

Hope a great time in Sabah!

Nickie

Warwickshire
reviews: 181
14. Re: Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

I would talk to your GP for malaria advice only they know your medical history and can give you best advice.

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/malaysia.aspx

Sligo, Ireland
15. Re: Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Sorry all, we didn't get to go on this honeymoon in December but are provisionally booked to go next month, we have to confirm tomorrow. Our bookings are room only and we are worried that our travel agent is quoting us a very high price for breakfast and dinner. Could someone please advise me roughly what food costs in the Rasa Ria? Our travel agent is asking for € 40 per day for breakfast and buffet dinner and €20 for breakfast only in the Tanjung Aru. We are intending staying a week in each.

Melbourne...
reviews: 61
16. Re: Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

i thought it was included in the room rate?

adn it does sound a little steep - we were suprised at how cheap it was to eat at their resturants and so I would doubt it cost that much anyways

Sligo, Ireland
17. Re: Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

No, the package we are looking at is room only so I am trying to find out before we book whether or not there is any saving paying for food through the travel agent we are booking through, which I don't think there is

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta
reviews: 79
18. Re: Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Answered on you other post.

Sligo, Ireland
19. Re: Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Thanks for the advice everyone, booked and paid for our honeymoon in KK earlier today, roll on two weeks from Friday

Manchester, United...
reviews: 34
20. Re: Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Hi

I am just looking for advice re mobile phones. I am in the uk. Do you know what's the best way to telephone the uk from Borneo and oraguntang snr turtle island. Many thanks.

Reply to: Looking for some advice on Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu District