We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferries

Which Mellieha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
holmfirth
reviews: 130
ferries

Hi we are staying in Mellieha and wondering if there are ferries or boats that you can get from the harbour to places like Valletta to save catching the buses

thanks

Cambridgeshire
reviews: 34
1. Re: ferries

The short answer is no unless you hire a private boat.

Mellieha area covers a vast area and can take over 20 minutes to drive from the most southerly to the north part. Golden Bay falls under the limits of Mellieha L/O but it is no where near Mellieha village, a good 15 minute drive away.

Edited: 8:27 am, October 15, 2013
holmfirth
2. Re: ferries

thanks for the quick reply, we are staying at the Solana hotel which i think is in the centre. looking at a map it says the island itself is only 17miles long , i just wonder how come it seems to take up a lot of travling time on the buses, what is this due to?

thanks

Cambridgeshire
3. Re: ferries

Maltese roads are not built for the bendy buses; the main street in Mellieha is far too narrow and often traffic comes to a standstill as buses try to negotiate the narrow street which gets clogged with parked cars.

The reason it takes so long by bus is there are very few straight roads and there are many bus stops. Even by car it can take 40 minutes from Mellieha village to say Valletta; there are far too many cars on the road and far too many bends in the road to get above 40 miles per hour and usually you are only doing 30 mph most of the time. On the coastal road from Mellieha to Valletta it is difficult to overtake and if you succeed then you will soon get stuck behind another slow moving vehicle. Having driven in Malta almost every for over 25 years I just take it slowly and get there when I can, otherwise I would be even more greyer and would be pulling my hair out.

Macl1uk

Edited: 9:01 am, October 15, 2013
holmfirth
4. Re: ferries

myself and partner do a lot of walking . can you walk from Mellieha to other places on the map easily enough by the coast ie. st pauls bay,bugibba ,Qawra as would rather be walking and sightseeing than stuck on a busy bus? i know going to Mdina, Rabat, Valletta etc on the bus will be the easierr option but am thinking of things nearer

thanks

p.s, driving in England is scary enough so will pass on hiring a car.

Cambridgeshire
5. Re: ferries

I would advise against walking to places like St Pauls bay, Bugibba & Qawra as the road from Mellieha village to these areas is mainly inland and there are no pavements, with the Maltese driving you would be risking life and limb. Also Mellieha area is extremely hilly and you would soon tire.

The only area that you could walk down to is the beach, again you will have to be careful as no pavements, but there is a path that cuts out a couple of bends.

Macl1uk

holmfirth
6. Re: ferries

sounds very similar to Sorrento in Italy, i thought i was going to die a few times.

thanks for all your information, you have been very helpful

Kia

7. Re: ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha