We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes

Which Mellieha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warrington
reviews: 4
mosquitoes

Hi

I will be visiting Malta at the end of June for 7 days and would like to know if there is a Mosquito problem at that time of the year and if so whats the best repellent to buy.

The reason i bring this up is because i have seen posts about Asian tiger mosquitoes and my wife reacts badly to mosquito bites. Any advice would be great appreciated.

Belfast
reviews: 17
11. Re: mosquitoes

we used mosquito wristbands from poundland last year in Turkey and didnt get bitten once, whether that was through luck or they actually worked i cant say for definate but at £1 a packet its worth a try.

Mansfield, United...
reviews: 13
12. Re: mosquitoes

I got bit twice a week ago. Big buggers they turned out to be as well. Both on the same wrist. Gary , I have never seen the wrist bands so I might give them a try in the summer.

I watched a programme recently when a guy coated one arm with a deet based spray and the other with a non deet based spray and the mad man then put his arms into a glass box full of the little blighters. One arm was covered instantly and the other didn't have any on. I will leave you to work out which one was mozzy free.

Also in mellieha there seemed to be a lot of wasps and hornet type things but you don't come across that many in built up areas such as sliema and st Julian.

London
reviews: 6
13. Re: mosquitoes

I bought some anti-mozzie wipes from a pound shop last year, they were made in China & claimed to contain 30% DEET, did they work - NO!

On the issue of things not seen in Malta, seagulls, they do exist, smallish ones, where? Dingli Cliffs.

There are also plenty of non-stinging flies around most of the time, but these are only a real irritation when they drop into your beer!

Hi Bobster, when in Mellieha did you notice the people living in garages, some of them are done up real nice inside, you can't help but look because they have to leave the doors open to let light in.

Cheers

Ntd

Mansfield, United...
reviews: 13
14. Re: mosquitoes

Didn't see any in mellieha drapes but do you mean the ones on the waters edge in qwara or do you mean the ones at armier bay? Didn't do much walking or exploring when we were in mellieha as we were lapping up the all inclusive at the seabank........ Too hot to do owt anyway as it peaked at 38 deg while we were there.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 64
15. Re: mosquitoes

My wife reacts badly if bitten, especially by Malta mozzies for some reason. They only irritate me.

We've found eating garlic before you go and whilst there seems to help. You can get odourless capsules from chemists and health food shops.

We usually use some sprays. Cover up at night of possible.

Use a room repellent - sprays and/or a plug in unit. Make sure you have an adaptor for the plug in depending on its mains pins though many hotel rooms have both UK and Eu sockets. Use the bathroom shaver point if necessary.

Avoid opening the bedroom windows especially at night.

Manchester
reviews: 3
16. Re: mosquitoes

Ntd :

Previously have seen only one or two seagulls around Birgu in the Grand Harbour, but there has been an increase this year - not inundated with them, but certainly on the increase.

Oswestry England
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 10
17. Re: mosquitoes

There were lots of seagulls flying around Marsaxlokk Bay recently.

The numbers seem to be on the increase.

Graham

Belfast
reviews: 17
18. Re: mosquitoes

sounds like some seagull repellent is in order.

Isle of Wight
reviews: 62
19. Re: mosquitoes

No wasps on Malta? I don't think so! I still have nightmares from the wasp zone that was Golden Bay in November in the 1980s!!!

I go in April now. :)

London
reviews: 6
20. Re: mosquitoes

Hi all

I will be on the lookout for gulls, jaspers, asian vampire mozzies & of course, the odd wealthy widow, when back over in April. Not forgetting cheap beer of course.

OK a final one, hands up who's seen a robin in Malta or Gozo? I spotted one in the revamped park near the bus terminus in Victoria in January. A nice change from all the cheeky sparrows.

Ntd

Get answers to your questions about Mellieha