We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Erosion of Maspalomas beach

Which Maspalomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 4
Erosion of Maspalomas beach

We were over in March and could not go in swimming on the Maspalomas dunes beach because the sand had been washed away from the shore line exposing boulders and stones. Each time a wave came in it brough the stones up crashing agaist your feet. Apparantly they bulldoze the sand over the stones after the winter buth for some reason this year it hadnt been done. Does anyone knoiw if this has now been sorted as I would not go back as I love to swim in the sea

Cork, Ireland
reviews: 8
11. Re: Erosion of Maspalomas beach

Just wondering since the last poster has anyone been to Maspalomas beach lately, is it now still nice and sandy into the sea? Thanks.

Bristol, UK
reviews: 25
12. Re: Erosion of Maspalomas beach

I was there last week and yes by the nature reserve there are rocks exposed... but it's only up where the shopping centre is. A three or four minute walk towards the dunes is just pure sand into the sea. and no problems bathing.

I was actually quite shocked how close the sea comes up to the Faro hotel and shopping centre. It's changed a lot over the Winter.

They have piled up a whole load or rocks just into the sea by the Faro hotel to stop the erosion but the rest of the dunes area is then same as it's ever been for the 25 years I've been going. Probably more alarming for the hotel and bar owners than the average tourist who can walk along a few 100 metres.

Plus... I'll agree the sea has been bracing over my last few visits... I thought it was just me.

Las Palmas de Gran...
reviews: 4
13. Re: Erosion of Maspalomas beach

The winter storms wash some of the sand away from the Faro end of Maspalomas Beach every year. It comes back naturally a few weeks later. I have never heard of bulldozers being used to put it back. They are used in the summer during dry yeaars to let a bit of seawater into the Charco to protect its ecosystem.

14. Re: Erosion of Maspalomas beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Maspalomas