We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

Which Bormes-Les-Mimosas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
reviews: 5
Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

We are visiting Provence for 6 days. We do NOT like extremely touristy areas, but do have a passion for art and nature. We will be staying for three days in St Remy. QUESTION: For the following three should we stay at Mas De Peint in the Camargue or go to Bormes-Les-Mimosas? We have heard such great things about Mas De Peint BUT we can see more of the coast, Isle Porquerolles from Bormes.

Guildford, England
reviews: 11
1. Re: Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

Hi

When are you going to be there? Makes a huge difference.

Northern California
reviews: 7
2. Re: Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

We really liked Bormes; the village is charming, laden with climbing flowering vines and masses of flowers in windowboxes. The nearby town of Hyères has an interesting old, Roman area, and a drive along the coast is a lovely way to spend a few hours. The fine beach at Le Lavandou is only five or so minutes away from Bormes.

Vermont
3. Re: Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

We will try the callanques then! Yes, please tell me about the weather! We are going in the third or fourth week of April. We were thinking of going to the Camargue but worried it would be too windy and cold. It's a choice between Bormes and the Camargue for our last three days. Any thoughts? IT sounds like Bormes is lovely.

Guildford, England
4. Re: Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

Hi

If you are going in April I would go for Bormes. In summer it is too crowded and touristy. I have a house about twenty minutes up the coast in Cavalaire. The drive is beautiful, right along by the coast. The Maures come right down to the sea at this point and there are many wonderful walks in them. Way up in the forest the Monastere de la Verne is worth visiting and the town of Collobriers, famous for chestnuts. You can get boats to the islands from Le Lavandou, Hyeres-Plage or La Tour-Fondue. Porquerolles is the largest. You can rent bikes for getting around or else just walk. At the Northen end is the Plage de Notre Dame which is a beautiful huge sandy bay. You need to take your own food and drink for a picnic as there are no facilities there. Port Cros is smaller and a national park. There are about 20 miles of nature trails. I would recommend the circuit de cretes by le vallon de la solitude and la plage du sud. It takes about 3 hours.

The Abbaye du Thoronet which was built between 1160 and 1190 is considered one of the purest examples of Roman Architecture in Provence. It is just the other side of the main A8 motorway. They sometimes have concerts on there.

In April St Tropez is fun. You can wonder around the little back streets enjoying what is still in places a fishing village. Just step away from the main port.

I hope this has helped and if I can be of any more assistance just ask.

Vermont
5. Re: Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

Thank you, JBart! This is very helpful as you seem to understand well our desire not to be in the thick of tourism. We will visit the places you suggested.

I am founding a high school in Vermont and am looking to create an exchange program with a secondary school in Provence. There is one in Aix called IBS but I have heard such bad things about Aix. Is it true that it is a town filled with the conservative elite and snobbishness?

Guildford, England
6. Re: Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

Hello again

I was somewhat taken aback by your last post as I have never come across snobbishness or conservative elite in France. I have to admit that in 19 years I have not been to Aix but have always wanted to go - lack of interest from the family. I have heard that it is a beautiful town full of fountains. Maybe a little more elegant than some of the other places nearby. I have friends who have lived there and have never heard a bad word about the place. So I'm not sure where the bad things come from - sorry. If I was you I would persue the exchange. You can easily pop up to Aix from Bormes if you want to check it out. You could take in Thoronet on the way back.

You asked about weather. Well prepare for all. I have sat out enjoying lunch in the sun in April. I have also sat in watching the rain. You cannot predict it.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Isle sur sorgue...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

Hi,

I was in Aix shopping this afternoon and it is a wonderful town. Full of street cafes and culture, I certainly don't find it snobby. If you want more rustic Provence then you have to go to the hill top vilages of the Luberon but as far as large towns go I think Aix is the best in the area.

uk
reviews: 1
8. Re: Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

Hello we love Bormes. In April it will be great - not too many tourists but just enough to give it a buzz. Lovely restaurants and views. great beaches with clear sea - just a short drive through the vineyards. The islands are wonderful as is the Maures behind the village. We have just come back from Bormes - we had lovely sunshine and blue skies - not bad for Feb. A trip to St Tropez is a must especially on sat or tues to take in the market in the main square. Fantastic out of the main holiday season.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
reviews: 91
9. Re: Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

I must agree with JBart. Springtime in Bormes is not unlike springtime in Vermont--sometimes it's there, and sometimes it hides for a while. It's an unpredictable time of year weather-wise, and last year spring in Bormes was a wee bit LATE!

I do love Bormes, and prefer it over other places you mention because of the long tracks along the sea. Rain or shine, heat or cold, one can enjoy the ever-changing vistas.

Dallas
10. Re: Bormes Les Mimosas or Mas De Peint in the Camargue?

You must eat at Le Petite Fontain in Collobriers for authentic provencal cuisine. The food is incredible! My wife and I drive every year from Ramatuelle for an afternoon lunch. June is the month we go and it's yet inundated with tourists. You can also walk the littoral path from Gigaro to the beach's of St. Tropez. It m amazing walk along the coast that hardly anyone ever is on. The path is marked but you will need to have good hiking shoes.