We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

payment in cash

Which Vilamoura hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
reviews: 8
payment in cash

We will be staying at the Tivoli Residences in Sept 2012.We want to pay by cash at the end of the stay Does anyone know if this would be a problem.

Albufeira, Portugal
reviews: 166
1. Re: payment in cash

I have never heard of cash being a problem anywhere in the world, so long as the notes aren't counterfeit!

Portimao, Portugal
reviews: 3
2. Re: payment in cash

Queued up in a shop in faro shopping centre last week. Stood in the queue for 10 minutes and when I got to the front the woman stated it was card only. I just left the product on the counter and walked out. Their loss not mine. Anybody refusing to take cash in this current economic climate must be crazy.

Liverpool UK
reviews: 17
3. Re: payment in cash

Keith.s , just a thought, why not pay for the room with the cash as soon as you get there ? You will recieve a reciept for proof of course, it will save you keeping all that cash safe until the end of the holiday? Any extras can be paid at check out. . let's face it most hotel bookings these days have been paid upfront if booking with an agency. If unsure you could e mail the hotel?

Edited: 7:27 am, August 27, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
4. Re: payment in cash

Diskwizz, could it have been that you were in Jumbo, the supermarket?

There are check-out lanes for (Jumbo) cardholders only. Maybe it was a misunderstanding?

Coimbra, Portugal
reviews: 3
5. Re: payment in cash

I agree with FTHW, there are check-out lanes that only take cards but they are the exception, not the rule. For example, the Pingo Doce supermarkets are saying that from the 1st of september they won't take debit/credit card for <20 euros worth shoppings - don't know if they're going back in their decision, though.

Keith, just make sure the notes aren't too high (don't use 500 euros, 200, 100... even 50, perhaps)

Albufeira, Portugal
reviews: 166
6. Re: payment in cash

Never had a problem with 50's. €100 notes in a hotel shouldn't be a problem either. Anything higher and they may have a heart attack.

Pingo Doce says they will savie €5 million a year by not accepting card payments under €20. Continente (formerly Modelo) at Albufeira Shopping has express card and cash self-serrvice lanes but it is not clear which is which and as they are at a pillar, there is only usually one queue, which is very frustrating.

Brighton, United...
7. Re: payment in cash

Yes great idea,thanks

Brighton, United...
8. Re: payment in cash

Yes i will take lower denoms,thanks.

9. Re: payment in cash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 16, 2013