We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Schipol to Leiden - Can you get off in Amsterdam?

Which Wassenaar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 1
Train from Schipol to Leiden - Can you get off in Amsterdam?

HI There,

We are travelling from Schipol to Amsterdam for the day, then on to Leiden later that day to Duinreil. Could somebody please tell me if I am able to buy one train ticket for the whole trip from Schipol to Leiden, and just 'stop off' in Amsterdam, or would I need to buy 2 tickets, one for each trip?

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 61
1. Re: Train from Schipol to Leiden - Can you get off in Amsterdam?

As you can see on this map: http://www.trein-kaart.nl/

...Amsterdam is in one direction from Schiphol, and Leiden the opposite direction. You will need 2 seperate tickets.

Edited: 2:07 pm, September 11, 2013
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 43
2. Re: Train from Schipol to Leiden - Can you get off in Amsterdam?

Not quite true Cecile. At the Schiphol ticket office you could ask for a single to Leiden 'via' Amsterdam Central. Yes you do have to pay the 0.50 surcharge per ticket (you can't do this at a machine btw) but at least you only have to buy one ticket.

Amsterdam, The...
3. Re: Train from Schipol to Leiden - Can you get off in Amsterdam?

I thought about suggesting the 'via' ticket option but it seemed to make less sense. (Only making things more complicated and not cheaper.)

The question suggested that the person thought that Amsterdam is between Schiphol and Leiden.

Edited: 3:29 am, September 12, 2013
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 43
4. Re: Train from Schipol to Leiden - Can you get off in Amsterdam?

Goes to show how two people can read the same thing and interpret it differently. :-)

Anyway, the OP now knows both options.

Edited: 4:06 am, September 12, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
5. Re: Train from Schipol to Leiden - Can you get off in Amsterdam?

Indeed! And I believe even the machines offer the 'via' option but you need to be an advanced user to understand those NS machines. The website offers a practice screen but in Dutch only.

@Chelle_Buckley, the machines at Schiphol and Amsterdam Central Station accept credit cards (I'm not sure if it's just Mastercard or VISA too); all other NS train ticket machines in the Netherlands only accept Dutch debit cards, or coins. No paper money. So if you ever need to get tickets in Leiden, make sure you have enough coins (no credit card option there) or buy from the ticket counter (€0.50 extra).

6. Re: Train from Schipol to Leiden - Can you get off in Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 14, 2014