We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for answers

Which Franeker hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
auckland, new...
Looking for answers

Hi there, I'm not sure if you can be of any help to me but am going through some family history stories and it was written that my great grandfather died in a psychiatric hospital in Franeker in 1888. Family members have told us that the hospital is still there. I realize this is many many years ago but would be very grateful for any information. If there is someone else that may be of some help to me would you please be kind enough to email through their address and I could get in touch with them.

Kindest Regards Jeanette Kiely from New Zealand.

4 replies to this topic
Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
1. Re: Looking for answers

Possibly one of these psychiatric hospitals (the three locations in Franeker are in fact next to each other):

ggzfriesland.nl/sjablonen/…

(If you want to get a notification of replies by e-mail, you can click the 'Watch this topic' button).

Curacao
reviews: 54
2. Re: Looking for answers

If you are still looking for this information - our parents live in Franeker and I can ask them.

I will be in Franeker in July and can search for you. Send me a private message if you still need more information.

auckland, new...
3. Re: Looking for answers

Hi there, thanks for your reply. I think it would be an idea for me to come over and do some searching of my own but thank you for being kind enough to offer your help, cheers Jeanette.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
4. Re: Looking for answers

Franeker seems to be a nice place (although I have never been there). Probably still quite protected from mass tourism. It is about 2.5 to 3 hours from Amsterdam.

Did you try searching if http://genlias.nl/ has any information on him?

Reply to: Looking for answers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Franeker
Recent Conversations