We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Valkenburg, Netherlands

Which Valkenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Day trips from Valkenburg, Netherlands

Next March I will be taking a trip to the Benelux area with some friends. We are staying in Valkenburg and doing day trips from there every day. On one day they plan on traveling 4.5 hours to Paris. I've been to Paris many times and would rather take the train from Valkenburg and do a day trip closer by. Are there any cute and charming towns worth a day visit that someone could suggest?

Our itinerary already includes, Bruges, Eifel and Cologne (DE), Brussels and Waterloo, Luxembourg, Monschau, Maastricht.

Leiden, The...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Day trips from Valkenburg, Netherlands

You could go to Aken/Aachen just over the border into Germany, which has some nice old sites as well as shopping and dining. In the area around aken there are also quite some possibilities to enjoy nature and do a walk on which you could also learn something on the Carbon era and all.

Other possibilities are Mechelen and other a bit smaller towns in Belgium. Or Antwerp, but I'm not sure how the connection thereto is.

Or you could go the the Ardennen, there are nice smaller towns there as well as castles and nature.

In holland you could go to Eindhoven (about an hour by train fromMaastricht), which is history-minded, not that interesting but there are some nice museums, especially if you like design and stuff.

Utrecht is about 2 hrs by train from Maastricht, and that is a very nice city with an older part, canals, museums, cafes and all! Or try smaller towns around the province of Limburg, like Thorn. If you like to see a museum or 2, there are good ones in the Kerkrade/Heerlen area, on the coalmining history of the area.

Feel free to pm me if you have more questions!

The Netherlands
reviews: 35
2. Re: Day trips from Valkenburg, Netherlands

If you're going to Luxembourg you can also visit Trier and Koblenz (both in Germany).

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Day trips from Valkenburg, Netherlands

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I will investigate them and see which best fits into our itinerary. Many of them sound really interesting and good possibilities. I appreciate your quick response to my question.

SamChicago 23

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Day trips from Valkenburg, Netherlands

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will investigate them and see if they are a good fit for our itinerary. Thanks again.

SamChicago23

5. Re: Day trips from Valkenburg, Netherlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Valkenburg