We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Improvise or complain?

Which Lindos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atherton, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
reviews: 6
Improvise or complain?

After reading peter51-12s post on the Lindos Garden thread re using a wire coat hanger to toast bread over an electric ring, I was just wondering how others manage when there isn't a toaster, kettle, tin opener, wine glass, mirror etc etc in your accommodation. How many of you would complain to the rep/owners? Or do you like me, find it great fun to improvise or simply do without for 2 weeks? Its only in recent years that I've had kettles in Greek SC properties, all you had was the pan like a tall milk pan for boiling water for your coffee or tea etc and to be honest I don't mind at all if that's what there is now! Toasters, not necessary, I like my fresh crusty bread and jam or yogurt and honey for breakfast anyway.

If I need something the property hasn't got like a wine glaSs or a cup and saucer (don't really like mugs) or corkscrew or a sharp knife, I'll go and pick one up at the supermarket, most odds and ends cost a couple of euros at most, it really doesn't bother me. How do others feel or deal with similar things?

How have you improvised? Maybe we can pick up some tips, like Peters, or do you feel you should have all mod cons etc provided?

Scotland
reviews: 156
31. Re: Improvise or complain?

Now if they'd only had coat hangers to build a fence between them, they'd have been ok!

Atherton, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
32. Re: Improvise or complain?

You'll have to start a topic Woody, '101 ways to use a wire coat hanger' lol.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
reviews: 82
33. Re: Improvise or complain?

Complaints, I've heard them all Babs but two I particularly remember are:

"I requested a high floor" 'Yes you're on the first floor' "Well that's not what I call a high floor."... the property was Golden View just outside Lindos, so only 2 storeys high! I'm not sure if they expected us to build a few extra storeys for them?

Or a classic in Kremasti... "The brochure didn't say how Greek it is and it's far too Greek to be a holiday resort. Greek people live here, there's even Greek food in all the restaurants." Heaven forbid! lol

Southampton, United...
reviews: 23
34. Re: Improvise or complain?

Bloody 'ell Marcus you must have earned your money dealing with people like that!

Atherton, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
35. Re: Improvise or complain?

I know the type Marcus, like I said, why the hell do they go another country and complain its 'too Greek' or 'too Spanish' Or they only frequent english bars or restaurants? No wonder us Brits have a bad name in so many places! You gotta laugh though, either that or deck someone! ;)

Again on my first visit to Zakynthos I absolutely loved the Greek life that was going on in the town I was staying in. I got talking to a couple at the hotel who had been visiting for a few years so I asked if they could recommend any good places to eat, 'Oh yes, we always go to The Green Frog, they do a lovely Sunday roast!, They couldn't understand why I was taken aback and said 'good god why the hell would I want to come all the way to Greece for food I get all the time at home! I want some really good Greek cuisine. I'm in Greece!, I've escaped the UK I don't want to be reminded of it for 2 weeks!' ("~)

mid wales
reviews: 41
36. Re: Improvise or complain?

We once got chatting to a Scottish couple who had booked a schedule flight home a week early because the burgers "were nae like the ones at home".Absolutely amazing!!

Wales
reviews: 53
37. Re: Improvise or complain?

Well, I like to try whatever the local cuisine is, and especially whatever any restaurant is renowned for, husband loves being abroad simply because the seafood is so fresh! However, I have relatives who, when asked what they thought of local dishes in Spain, replied...."oh no dear, we don't eat any of their food, well you don't what's in it do you?"........what can you say?!!!!

Amersham
reviews: 2
38. Re: Improvise or complain?

I usually take a sharp knife and bottle opener and forgot, I took washing up liquid and cloth. There was washing up liquid and cloth (pleasantly surprised) in my room but no sharp knife or bottle opener. I purchased a rather sharp knife for 80 cents (80 cents - #amazeballs) which I sliced half my finger nail and a bottle opener for a rather expensive 3 Euros (although it does have Rhodes on it, so it's a souvenir too). I didn't improvise, however, it's part of the fun of self-catering in Greece. I would never complain as I had air conditioning, TV and a double bed! If I was desperate I would have asked many of my Lindian friends to borrow a knife and bottle opener!

Jarrow
reviews: 50
39. Re: Improvise or complain?

I love toast and thought about taking a cheap toaster this year, but opted to make one out of a wire coathanger, worked an absolute treat. The day before we came home we gave it to the Bride of the wedding party that was staying at the Athena as a gift, she was well impressed with it, she loved her toast too :-)

40. Re: Improvise or complain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 30, 2014