We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minden and its nearby cities

Which Minden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wroclaw, Poland
reviews: 11
Minden and its nearby cities

Hi destination experts!

I have 5 days in Minden.

While i have seen Minden before I'm looking for suggestion on where i could visit out Minden but using Minden as my base city.

I had Dresden and Colonge in mind, but i guess Dresden is too far to do a day trip?

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Bottrop, Germany
reviews: 89
1. Re: Minden and its nearby cities

Unfortunately this forum has no destination experts and it is VERY qiet.

One question in advance : do you intend to go by train or car?

Skip Dresden, it is much too far for a day trip.

Cologne would take about 3 hours + by train, if you book the expensive fast train (ICE), Hamburg would take about 2 1/2 hours, Braunschweig about 1 1/2 hours and Osnabrück less than 1 hour. BTW, Osnabrück has a very nice Altstadt (old town)

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/dn…

Tschüss

patara01

Wroclaw, Poland
2. Re: Minden and its nearby cities

Hi Patara,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll be going by trains.

I will certainly do Colonge and either Osnabruck or Dusseldorf.

Can decide between the two.

Thanks for the help! Im so glad the ash cloud has cleared. I am leaving tonight and very much excited !

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
3. Re: Minden and its nearby cities

Forget Düsseldorf. I'll never understand why it is so high on the list of many. I wasn't much impressed with the city. Essen is, to me, a lot more interesting.

Dresden is out of the question. Even Cologne is a bit too far IMHO. That's three hours one way, another three hours back, in other words, six hours travel time, half a day wasted.

I'd suggest some of the nearby places along the Weser instead, for example Rinteln and Bückeburg, Hameln with its old town, or Höxter and Corvey abbey, Porta Westfalica, or the spa town of Bad Pyrmont.

Germany's most attractive ensembles of historical architecture are, due to Wrold War II bombings, not to be found in large cities but in small towns.

Wroclaw, Poland
4. Re: Minden and its nearby cities

Hi Blandine,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately im back from the holidays... nevertheless i had a good one.

Visited Koln and OSnabruck as suggested by some.

It was both lovely. Koln was a little too touristy for me, but the cathedral was magnificient!

Thank you all!

Bottrop, Germany
reviews: 89
5. Re: Minden and its nearby cities

Your are welcome!

Unfortunately you are somewhat right, missileo , Cologne is more and more overrun with tourists in the main places. Many tourists are fond of all those sites as the Cathedral, the museums, the Rhine promenade and of course the Altstadt or the "Belgische Viertel". But if you are strolling along streets a little off the beaten paths you will get a better feeling for this city:-).

You see, I´m pretty biased.

I like Osnabrück as well but I´m not as common with it as with Cologne.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your trip

Edited: 5:35 am, June 05, 2011
Wroclaw, Poland
6. Re: Minden and its nearby cities

Hi Patara,

Oh yes i did the strolling down the smaller streets in Koln. And no complaints tho. I loved every minute in Germany and will definitely return to visit more cities!

Reply to: Minden and its nearby cities
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Minden
Recent Conversations