We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

Which Great Ocean Road hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 7
GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

The Lorne festival is on Saturday DEC 28 Until JAN 01 2014

I am thinking of booking a tour during this dates.

When do most people travel to the Falls Festival?

Thanks

Melbourne
reviews: 5
1. Re: GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

This area is busy this time of year rwgardless of the festival. It's peak holiday time for Australians as its our Summer school holiday period and the GOR area is one of the most popular destination for Victorians to holiday in. Majority of people are on the road on the 26th December, this will be the busiest driving day. As long as you avoid that day the tour will be fine, but the towns and tourist attractions will be busier than other times of the year.

BTW the Falls Featival is a ticketed music festival and people camp at the grounds, kind if like our own Woodstock. People don't really come and go and add to the general Tourist crowds around Lorne.

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 181
2. Re: GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

As above, many people travel on 26 December simply because it's the day after Christmas. You will also get traffic on 27 because of the Falls Festival.

Either way, between Christmas and New Year’s you are bound to get a lot of traffic from holiday makers and tour companies regardless of which day you go. It's just a really popular time of the year and there's not much you can do about it, unless you can do your tour in 2014 or prior to Christmas.

Vancouver, Canada
3. Re: GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

thanks for the valuable insight!

Melbourne
reviews: 14
4. Re: GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

The festival organisers try to get people to drive into the festival the back way. Avoiding the GOR. And once you're in there it's pretty hard to leave...

Melboune
reviews: 133
5. Re: GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

Over the years I've made a bit of a study of traffic leading into Lorne at this time of year from a balcony which has a good view of it!

Traffic on the GOR will be heavy in the days leading up to the Falls Festival (not just the 26th, which actually might not be too bad) and possibly also on 31 December and definitely on the days leading up to the first couple of weekends in January (the Pier-to-Pub is on the 2nd weekend). So, earlier in the week is better. The main issues are the long tail backs before Anglesea and Lorne (not helped by the dreaded roundabouts in both these towns). And, yes, the tour buses do get caught up. Not having been on a tour at this (or any other) time of year, I don't know how this affects their timings (as in, do they just run late for the rest of the day or do they shorten things?). After Lorne, although there is traffic, you don't get the tail-backs because Lorne in effect operates as filter.

I realise OP doesn't intend to drive, but hints for anyone who is driving are either to be on the GOR before 10 am or after mid-afternoon, or if travelling to Lorne or beyond, take the road via Winchelsea and Deans Marsh. Yes, the Deans Marsh road means you miss some of the views, but there's still lots to see after Lorne.

Traffic in the other direction usually isn't too bad. And watch those speed limits, this is prime speed camera territory at this time of year.

Vancouver, Canada
6. Re: GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

Thanks for the local knowledge Gat16.

My preferred day to book a tour would be Saturday Dec 28th.....

but i can also book sunday Dec 29th. Those are my only 2 options.

I just dont want to be on a crawling bus.

Would Saturday be ok, or should I book Sunday, just to be safe???

Vancouver, Canada
7. Re: GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

It was brutal, never again. Unfortunately Dec 28th was our only day to schedule.

We missed out on most of the tour stops because of crawling traffic between torquay and lorne.

I think most of the cars were people/families heading to holiday parks and beach.

Melbourne
reviews: 5
8. Re: GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

That's a shame :( yes it definitely is the busiest time of year for the GOR, so many people heading off for their summer holidays.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 21
9. Re: GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

Yes the place was so busy down there I was hearing 4 hours traffic jams, I needed to complain to the local police or government authorities. You think after being a tourist town for 100 years lorne township would have better back up plans instead of making it hard for everyone. The tour buses, drivers etc making all delay.

10. Re: GOR tour during Falls Festival 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 06, 2015