We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wed 28th Nov to Sunday 2nd of October on GOR

Which Great Ocean Road hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Wed 28th Nov to Sunday 2nd of October on GOR

Hello,

These forums have helped me so much in the past and hopefully it can again!

I want to do the GOR and have 4 nights - unfortunately smack bang in the middle of schoolies - friggin work giving me crap holiday times again! Where should my girlfriend and I spend them? I don't want to get caught in a crush of idiot schoolies participants. We are in our 30's and looking for romantic/beautiful places to stay with ocean views being a bonus. We love to eat out so places with great restaurants nearby (within 20 min drive) for lunch/dinner would be great. 12 Apostles and the zip lining are the only must do's we have so far.

Here are our possible options, would love some feedback suggestions!

Wed night - Lorne or Apollo bay

Thurs night - Lorne or AB

Fri Night - Port Campbell

Sat night - PC or Warnambool or Mornington Peninsula area

We don't have to be back until late Sunday afternoon so I am considering coming back from PC on Sat via inland roads but then taking the ferrie from Queenscliffe to sorrento and staying somewhere around there for the night as Sat night accom is pretty expensive on GOR and this would give us another place to visit and be close to Melbourne for return on Sunday...

I am also considering a hire car for the GOR. I am torn between a BMW Z4 convertible (2003 model) or a Porsche Cayman (non-convertible, 2008 model) for an extra $100 per day. I figure the GOR will be better in a nice car so worked it into the budget (got an excellent deal).

Cheers,

Adam and Sara.

Edited: 2:37 am, October 26, 2012
Warrnambool
reviews: 35
1. Re: Wed 28th Nov to Sunday 2nd of October on GOR

Schoolies is not such a big issue once you go past Lorne. Places like Port Campbell, Warrnambool and Port Fairy I don't have schoolies type tourists in the area.

If you have 4 days try staying in Apollo Bay for 2 days and then Warrnambool for two days.

Enjoy.

reviews: 3
2. Re: Wed 28th Nov to Sunday 2nd of October on GOR

Hi Adam and Sara,

You mentioned that you love to eat out, so I thought I would mention the excellent 12 Apostles Gourmet Trail to you, more info available at visit12apostles.com.au/day-tours-itineraries…

Enjoy your trip,

Sara

Melbourne
3. Re: Wed 28th Nov to Sunday 2nd of October on GOR

Wow, trail looks fantastic - thanks so much Sara!

How is this for a rough itinerary?

Day 1 - Journey to Apollo Bay. Lunch in Lorne and explore on way to AB (stay AB that night)

Day 2 - zip lining and exploring AB area (Stay AB overnight)

Day 3 - 12 apostles in early morning. food trail through the day. Stay in Port Campbell? or Warrnambool?

Day 4 - explore port fairy and warrnambool area with lunch in PF and Tea in W and stay overnight.

Day 5 - journey back to Melbourne. Stop in Colac to explore and late lunch in Geelong plus explore area.

Based on the above I have a couple of questions:

If doing 12 apostles and food trail on day 3 then are we better off staying overnight in Port Campbell or Warrnambool? where to have lunch while doing the food trail? Lunch and Tea suggestions on the other days?

Any votes for staying in AB for 2 nights then 1 in Port Campbell/Warrnambool and then 1 in Mornington peninsula (using ferry to cross over)? - we live an hour south of Melbourne so this is kind of on the way back.

Cheers,

Adam & Sara.

4. Re: Wed 28th Nov to Sunday 2nd of October on GOR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 28, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Great Ocean Road