We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit in April

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Geilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 19
Visit in April

Hi we are thinking of visiting Geilo in April. My husband wants to ski (some experience but a beginner really) and my four year old and I want to ice skate and go on a husky ride (I have a husky obsessed child).

Is Geilo suitable ? Also other than in cities (Denmark and Sweeden) I've never done a snow holiday before so any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Claire

12 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
1. Re: Visit in April

Geilo is a ski resort and should be suitable for you. Easy access by train from Oslo. Denmark does not have much snow or snow related winter activities. Sweden does have resorts, but unfortunately I do not know anything about them. April could be too late for Sweden or you would have to go way up north where they may have mountains and skiing conditions as late as April.

Edited: 7:49 am, February 10, 2013
Oslo
reviews: 70
2. Re: Visit in April

Late April may be too little snow even at Geilo. Finse station near Geilo has a longer season (bring UV-sunglasses and UV-sunblock)

http://www.finseskisenter.no/

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto55503.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto55524.jpg

Riksgränsen near Narvik is supposed to have the longest season

http://www.riksgransen.se/

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
3. Re: Visit in April

I have been skiing in Geilo in early May - maybe that was exceptional ? I would not recommend Riksgränsen - it is a dreary place.

Oslo
4. Re: Visit in April

Hemsedal ski resort usually runs until May 1 (last weekend), and I guess that the season at Geilo is slightly shorter. My hunch is that late April can be nice, but uncertain snow conditions.

Brighton, United...
5. Re: Visit in April

Hi there

Check out facebook site - www.facebook.com/homeofskiing?ref=stream

Here you will find lots of useful information about Geilo and all the other resorts.

London
reviews: 19
6. Re: Visit in April

Thanks - we would be flying into Rygge or Oslo Torp - is Gelio feasible from these airports? I am a bit worried about transfers with a four year old in tow!

Oslo
7. Re: Visit in April

Torp is at Sandefjord, about 2 hours from Oslo.

Geilo is a station on the Bergen railway line, trains for Bergen through Drammen (so you can transfer there) or transfer in Oslo.

nsb.no/rutetider/last-ned-rutetabeller-artic…

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
8. Re: Visit in April

You will need to change trains, that's all. It also depends on arrival/departure time of flights as there are only a few trains per day. Late arrival would mean you would have to spend one night in Oslo and continue the next morning.

www.nsb.no

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
reviews: 24
9. Re: Visit in April

This might be interesting for you: http://www.geilohusky.com/

In addition check with hotel, they often arrange sled-dog activities.

Charmouth, United...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Visit in April

Geilo is certainly a good option and ski conditions will normally be good until the middle of April at least. I'd go as early as possible if you have a choice.

Flying to Torp or Rygge will add an hour or two to the train journey and you'll have to change trains in Oslo (or Drammen from Torp), but not necessarily any more expensive if you book minipris tickets - see www.nsb.no .

Reply to: Visit in April
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Geilo
Recent Conversations