We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

Which Romans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Westminster...
reviews: 9
the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

We will be flying into Paris in June and then need to get to either Rome or Florence quickly, to pick up car and drive to our rented Villa apt. in Tuscany on the same day. We are spending 2 weeks there then going back to Paris for another week before flying back to Canada. Any experience with the best airline to use?

12 replies to this topic
Saint Louis...
reviews: 12
1. Re: the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

It's too bad you just didn't fly open-jaws and start your trip in Italy.

I would use whichever airline can get you here at the most convenient time, and would allow about 4 hours after arrival to schedule your flight to Italy.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 41
2. Re: the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

I would look at Easyjet and Vueling, I have used both, BUT , make sure you are flying out of same airport you are flying into, for Paris I assume you will be arriving at Charles de Gaulle, so do check which airport Easyjet and Vueling use for those flights, we used CDG for our Easyjet flight from Barcelona this summer, but never assume same thing this year, so just make sure of that( Paris also uses Orly and Beavais, but neither of those two airlines use Beavais so as long as its CDG and thats where you are arriving internationally it will be fine)

And yes, leave lots of time for slow luggage arrival, long immigration lines and terminal changes, you will have to go from one terminal to another likely. then back through security, I second a 4 hour spread.. even if it means cooling your heels at bit at a coffee shop if nothing slows you down.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

Use www.skyscanner.net to find which airlines are offering a good price on your travel date from CDG to Rome or Florence or Pisa; the book direct with one of these airlines.

New Westminster...
4. Re: the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

Thanks for all the great information. We are unable to book a direct flight to Rome from our home for a reasonable cost, that is why the Paris arrival and departure. Not sure what you mean by 'open jaws' but if it is 2 one way flights, that is about double the cost. I appreciate the advice to allow 4 hours to change flights to Italy, and will confirm the airports for sure.

Diane

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
5. Re: the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

"Open Jaws" is when you fly into one city and out from another. On airline web sites, you can usually book this as a "multi-city journey" and it costs about the same as a return flight.

Saint Louis...
6. Re: the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

I just did a quick search for a multi city flight from Vancouver to Rome & Paris, using the TA flight search, for some random dates in June and the fare was around $1,100 US.

As Nick said above the price is about the same as a RT flight to a single destination. And I've found that sometimes it's cheaper too.

Edited: 11:51 pm, January 10, 2013
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 41
7. Re: the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

Oh yes, Diane, two one ways ARE more expensive, but that is not the same as "mulit destination " or "open jaw",, which is what Airtransat offers,, did you look at them, they are usually cheaper then AC and I have used both and find them comparable in terms of service etc, in fact we booked the economy plus for the return portion of our flight this last summer as a treat, it was only 300 dollars more for that leg and worth it to us. We flew economy from Vancouver to Amsterdam and then home on ec plus from Paris to Vancouver, it was 1500 each roughly as I recall.

If you have already booked don't sweat it though, it sometimes is not nice to find out later you could have gotten a slightly better deal,, but in long run it will all work out..

New Westminster...
8. Re: the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

Thanks Joan- we used Air transat in June last year to fly non stop to Paris and were happy with the price and service. Unfortunately they do not fly to Rome, so I'm looking at all other options now. Their price is the best in and out of Paris, with KLM next with the multi destination option, a 2 hr stop in Amsterdam which does get us late in Rome. However, not giving up! Appreciate your help.

Diane

Saint Louis...
9. Re: the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

Diane - I just did a search and beleive I found the KLM flight that you are referring to. It gets you to Rome at 2:45, but there are other - slightly more expensive flights that arrive in Rome at 10:20 am. The price difference is probably the same - maybe less than booking a flight from Paris to Rome. It's better to be booked through to, as the airline wil be responsible for getting you to Rome if there are any delays. If you book a separate flight you risk having to re-book at full fare if your original is delayed.

I used Matrix to search for flights:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

Edited: 5:00 pm, January 11, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 45
10. Re: the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris

we always fly open jaw and it is not more expensive if booked on the same airline -- but your options are of course more limited

do not fly back to the airport of departure same day -- always be in the city of a high stakes flight the day before -- things happen --- we have had flights come in 5 hours late -- we had a Thalys which only takes 3.5 hours from Amsterdam to Paris come in 5 hours late -- and lots of people on board missed flights out of CDG that evening as a result

stay at the airport and train back into town for your final night but don't try to land at CDG and then make a flight back to the US the same day.

Reply to: the quickest way to get to Rome or Florence from Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Romans