We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea

Olympia, Washington
reviews: 2
Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea

Our family of 6 adults and 2 toddlers want to spend 1 week in a condominium on the Kohala Coast in November. We can't find anything in Mauna Lani in our price range, so we've narrowed our search to the Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea. There is a $1000 difference in the price range between the two. Is Mauna Kea worth that? We don't golf or play tennis, but love the beach and hiking/walking.

18 replies to this topic
Trabuco Canyon...
11. Re: Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea

Well, I have stayed at the Marriott next to all the action....but with a family of 5, I have chosen to book a 3brm condo above MK. KK--is correct--you can get access to both resorts (charging privilages) that have nice beaches and Hapuna appears to have a superior pool to MK for the little ones. My stay is booked for later this month so I will report my observations. But IMO you cannot beat a deal of $300 per night for a beautifully decorated 3bdrm condo (all to yourself with all the trimmings) that you can make your own meals and make your homebase for traveling BI.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
12. Re: Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea

The Mauna Kea pool is really small, and yes, the Hapuna pool is better. It has no real deep end, although some will be over a small childʻs head, and it does have a shallower area. It is thermostat controlled temp and always pleasant.

I have not seen the Waiulaula clubhouse pool except in pics, but it looks really nice, maybe nice enough that youʻll be happy doing most of your pool swimming up there.

Hereʻs the South Kohala Management page on Waiʻulaula; it has a good explanation of what the Villas offer and the condos at the Ridge.

www.southkohala.com/waiulaula-mauna-kea

The Ridge condos are about 2000 square feet, and the Villas are about 2500 sq. feet interior with 450 sq. feet of outside lanai, private pool, private hot tub. Plus use of clubhouse. Plus amenities of two hotels.

South Kohala Management recommends upstairs units for premium views.

I think that anyone who is in that price range of $350-$400 and up would definitely want to check into the Mauna Kea Resort properties. If there is a golf cart to use, all the better, but the drive to hotel beach parking is really no longer than going from a Mauna Lani condo to the Beach Club parking.

If you really plan to spend time on the beach, itʻs nice to get set up in style and comfort.

Note: the Hapuna loungers under umbrellas are not nearly as good, but they are just as good as the Makaʻiwa Bay and Mauna Lani loungers/cabanas, IMHO, from recent comparison. The Mauna Kea lounges are higher quality, as are their umbrellas, and they pad them with thick towels for you so that itʻs comfortable.

I do enjoy having enough elevation to be out of the sweltering sauna like conditions of summer right at sea level.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
13. Re: Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea

I still would prefer a Mauna Lani Point or Terrace unit over anything at the MaunaKea, but that's for proximity to the ocean. I like to be able to walk out and get in, basically, and at a premium ocean location with good snorkeling and swimming. If the great beach access at the Mauna Kea is a priority though, I get that. I'm at Kauna'oa today and it truly is a lovely beach. Always quiet, with a fraction of the people that are at Hapuna, and good, fine light sand and swimming. It's a shame there are so few public access spots, but it does keep the beach almost empty seeming.

Seattle
reviews: 1
14. Re: Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea

Interested in Kamaainak's comment about staying in a quieter zone with a view. Is there such a thing that's near the beaches of Kohala?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
15. Re: Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea

Yes, the Mauna Lani resort is very quiet, as is the Mauna Kea resort and the condo complexes within them. If you want a house instead of a condo, outside the resorts but within the Kohala beach district, both the Puako and Waialea beach communities are low key.

Canada
reviews: 24
16. Re: Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea

Just have to say...that staying within Waikoloa Beach Resort does not necessarily expose one to some frenetic locale.

We have stayed many a time within the Resort and have yet to be caught up in any hubbub....

As a matter of fact , we rarely frequent the "Shops"...so a quiet , relaxed, vacation in a wonderful setting is usually the Norm in WBR for us....

Plenty of "Hawaiiana" to experience, a variety of Dining options, and wonderful accommodation.

Canada
reviews: 24
17. Re: Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea

On a further note...as we frequently rent condo accommodation within the South Kohala area, it has been our experience that there is much negotiation in regard to rental rates.

That is our experience. We stay both long term , and short stay, usually through owner but also through Management company. I have mentioned here before that we have yet to pay the posted price, and that holds true today.

If an owner is reluctant to negotiate we have no trouble finding a superb accommodation with an owner that will do so...

I will often look to properties that may be slightly higher than our budget, and will in most instances end up in an accommodation that exceeds our expectations .

Others may have not have experienced the good luck in negotiation that we have , but hopefully others will realize that it is possible...more often than not.

It is true that many will settle for paying posted rates...but as the saying goes........anyone can "buy."...but there are those who "shop"

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
18. Re: Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea

As Wanderlust says, Waikoloa Beach Resort is far from frenetic.

The Mauna Lani Resort public areas are quieter, but they barely have a pulse, so being a bit busier is still not busy. Kailua Kona is busy.. ;-)

Queenʻs Marketplace is not busy either, not in the interior strolling space. The front parking is often full, but there is plenty around back. There will be a line for early bird dinner at Sansei. Not much buzz other than at the restaurants.

I still prefer Mauna Kea Resort. Itʻs really peaceful and there is no road noise, and I just like being up on a hill looking down rather than being on the flats. I have always had this preference for panoramic views. YMMV.

Reply to: Waikoloa Beach Villa versus Waiulaula at Mauna Kea
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted