We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many choices

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 35
Too many choices

When my wife and I were on the Big Island last June, we stayed in Keauhou. Had a good time, but agreed that on the next visit, we'd plan to stay somewhere along the Kohala Coast. As it turns out, the next visit will be sometime this summer. Yay!! But in looking for a condo/home in which to stay, I'm overwhelmed by the number of choices (220+ on TA alone). So I'm hoping you all can bring some focus to my search.

The only hard criterion is "walking distance to a good beach" (my wife), bonus if it has good snorkeling (me). Everything else is loosely:

- prefer low-profile to high-rise resort style;

- we'll be visiting our daughter in Kailua, so the shorter the drive, the better;

- would like two bedrooms;

- proximity to the beach is more important than an ocean view;

- not concerned about shopping nearby;

- but would like a couple good Happy Hour options.

We know rates along the Kohala Coast are higher than in Kona, and are willing to pay the freight to get what we're looking for, but hopefully not more than we have to.

Any and all recommendations appreciated!!

Portland, Oregon
11. Re: Too many choices

Thanks for the added info, Shea, which in my mind seals the deal for the Mauna Lani, and tightly narrows the scope of my search. So much so, in fact, that in scanning through the 220+ Kohala Coast Vacation Rentals here on TA, I saw only one with a Mauna Lani Resort location. All the rest said Waikoloa. Can that be right, or is it just bad web design?

Kelowna, Canada
12. Re: Too many choices

Go to vrbo.com type mauna lani in the search property bar and take it from there

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 68
13. Re: Too many choices

Vrbo often lumps in the Mauna Lani properties with Waikoloa Beach for some reason. I did as the poster above suggested and got 248 properties at the Mauna Lani. :-)

Portland, Oregon
14. Re: Too many choices

Yeah, VRBO is working fine and that's where I'm looking.... as I float off into daydreams. I just didn't understand why only one of the 220+ Kohala Coast "Vacation Rentals" here on Trip Advisor showed a Mauna Lani Resort location. Thanks again!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 68
15. Re: Too many choices

Oh sorry, I misunderstood! Yes, I suspect here on TA many are misclassified.

Kelowna, Canada
16. Re: Too many choices

I wish you the best of luck in finding that perfect holiday accomodation. I'm positive you'll love the Mauna Lani Resort area.

Portland, Oregon
17. Re: Too many choices

Once again, thanks so much for your help and best wishes. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at the rates I'm seeing. The Terrace or The Point are a little out of reach for this trip, but I think we'll find everything we're looking for (more actually) in any of several of the Palm Villas units.

18. Re: Too many choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 01, 2014