We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Lani

Hanover...
reviews: 145
Mauna Lani

Staying at Mauna Lani in September

Any reason not to be on the ground floor?

Any areas of the hotel that are quieter or more desirable?

From the posts here it sounds like upgrades are often offerered.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 68
1. Re: Mauna Lani

I think the ground floor is fine, but you really want to get an ocean view if possible, there's no guarantee of an upgrade.

Edited: 3:33 am, May 15, 2012
Hanover...
reviews: 145
2. Re: Mauna Lani

thanks

We are really looking forward to staying there

I know from reading the forum you are very positive about this hotel

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 68
3. Re: Mauna Lani

Yes, it's lovely, and a relatively good value, IMO. The food isn't great (although Napua at the beach club is pretty good and the breakfast isnt bad at the hotel) so you'll want to go off property for most meals, but that's easy to combine with your trips out and about around the island. Monstera at the Shops at the Mauna Lani is one of my favourite restaurants on the island, and the Foodland there is good for poke, deli items, snacks, beer and wine.

On your on-property, snorkelling/beach days, Napua is definitely the best bet, both lunch and dinner. It's also a beautiful spot for sunset cocktails with very good Hawaiian musicians Thurs-Sun.

Plano, Texas
4. Re: Mauna Lani

We prefer the top floor (6th) if available. It has excellent views, especially on the pool side. The standard rooms (mountain view) get a lot of noise from the front driver (bus, van traffic, etc.). Only floors 4, 5 and 6 have connecting access to the main elevator banks making for some annoying extra up and down to get from the front drive to your room. If you are not offered an upgrade, ask what is available. They sometimes will offer with a small up-charge. Valet parking and snorkel gear is complimentary so take advantage! You also get free court time at the tennis center and use of the fitness center adjacent to the spa. A great value considering no resort fee and wi-fi is included. Don't forget to ask for the free turndown service. It gets you bottled water, a towel refresh, ice, and nice bedside carpet mats. Enjoy, Mauna Lani Bay is one of our favorite resorts on the planet!

Chappaqua, New York
reviews: 4
5. Re: Mauna Lani

DrumMike...We are planning to stay at Mauna Lani in August, so excited, and I have been doing a ton of research! Just an update.....from what I heard, as of 6/1, there is now an $18 per day fee for parking, and a $14.95 fee per day for internet. Not sure what water sports gear are complimentary, maybe just snorkel equipment. Either way, it's a great place, can't wait to get there!

6. Re: Mauna Lani

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:36 am, June 11, 2012
California
reviews: 31
7. Re: Mauna Lani

We walked through the hotel grounds the other day and place looks great as ever. I would also want an upper room for both the view and privacy of people walking past your room. Good chance of an upgrade in September also.

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Mauna Lani

Im at the mauna lani as we speak and yes they indicated a $18 parking fee but i got it waived immediately when i checked in. I think it may have something to do with WHEN you booked.

As for internet its free. Maybe also dependent on when you booked.

Btw the mauna lani so far has been fabulous. Will definitely come back.

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: Mauna Lani

Im at the mauna lani as we speak and yes they indicated a $18 parking fee but i got it waived immediately when i checked in. I think it may have something to do with WHEN you booked.

As for internet its free. Maybe also dependent on when you booked.

Btw the mauna lani so far has been fabulous. Will definitely come back.

Canada
reviews: 27
10. Re: Mauna Lani

Sad to hear that Mauna Lani Bay Hotel is to implement a daily self parking fee as well as an Internet fee.

I think the complimentary parking encouraged many to visit the Hotel and enjoy the many features. Charging for "Internet" has never sat well with me.... In this day and age ...I equate it with basic cable on a television. No additional fee should be assessed.

I truly understand the fiscal realities in today's business sector...but there is a level of service inclusions that most fine properties offer their guests. .....that go to ensuring many a repeat visit.This latest move by Mauna Lani (if indeed true)does not speak to that goal.