We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Major Sights accessible only from dirt/gravel roads?

pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
Major Sights accessible only from dirt/gravel roads?

I'm starting a list of things we'd really like to see or hikes we might want to take. It is possible that we may be taking my husbands low-slung fancy car with perfect paint job on this trip (though I might try to talk him out of it if it eliminates too many great sights). Looking thru old forum posts on the RNP forum this am, I noitced that a fair number of posts mention marginal roads. And I'm getting them mixed up at this point.

Sounds like Howland Hill Road is out.

How about: Fern Canyon, Golds Bluff Beach, Stout Grove, Boy Scout trail?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
11. Re: Major Sights accessible only from dirt/gravel roads?

>>..the ideal place for a convertible sports car might be on the gorgeous smaller roads of the wine country, along the coast,<<

Yes, or Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, AND the north CA redwoods as long as you don't decide to explore the Lost Coast or similar.

Have a great trip.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 758
12. Re: Major Sights accessible only from dirt/gravel roads?

The Lost Coast road is all paved and in fact would be a very nice drive with the top down - weather cooperating, of course ;-)

The main creek is after Gold Bluffs Beach (campground area). Prior to that, there are just one or two little trickles across the road. When we were there a couple of weeks ago in April, the creek was about a foot deep.

I think what it comes down to, pasca, is that if you take your husband's car, you'll be ableto see a number of lovely areas - but not get into the more out-of-the-way places.

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned that Requa Road is all paved and has a wonderful view of the mouth of the Klamath River from the top?

Eureka, California
reviews: 2
13. Re: Major Sights accessible only from dirt/gravel roads?

Hi Pasca

I don't know if half-Brit was out on the lost coast road when they were down here last month but in march when we drove it, there are sections between Petrolia and Humboldt Redwood State Park that are not paved and quite rough.

Have fun

GP

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 758
14. Re: Major Sights accessible only from dirt/gravel roads?

No, we didn't get that far south, gp1.

Thanks for the updated information!

15. Re: Major Sights accessible only from dirt/gravel roads?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park