We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

Bowling Green...
reviews: 12
San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

We are trying to plan a trip to the Redwood forrest and area. I guess we will fly into San Fran, spend a couple of nights, drive to Gaberville CA (i guess) and take day trips from there. Then what? drive back to San Fran? What about driving up to Gaberville, doing the Redwoods, then on the way back to San Francisco, do the wine thing?...need ideas and suggestions! And, if there is a better town to stay in than Gaberville, for access purposes, what is it.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
1. Re: San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

Garberville is a good place to base yourselves if visiting the Avenue of the Giants or Humboldt Redwoods State Park. However, it's not very convenient to Redwood National Park. Staying in Arcata/Eureka, Trinidad, or Crescent City would be closer.

It's certainly possible to also "do the wine thing". Mendocino, Sonoma, and Napa counties all have wine regions that are along or near the route up to the redwoods.

Roseville...
reviews: 15
2. Re: San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

How many days do you have start to finish?

Bowling Green...
3. Re: San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

kind of open, 7-10 is what we are thinking

Arcata, California
4. Re: San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

Check out www.redwoods.info. It's the travel website for Humboldt County and the Redwood parks. It should give you some good ideas on what to do and where to stay.

Roseville...
reviews: 15
5. Re: San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

You need to continue north to Crescent City to see the best of redwood country. Also assume you would like to see some of coast. First Cut:

Day

1-2 SF

3 Drive to Gaberville

4 Explore Avenue of Giants; Drive to Crescent City.

5-6 Crescent City (Jedidiah Smith SP; Stout Grove)

7 Drive to Mendocino

8 Mendocino (Visit wineries along 128)

9 Drive down 1 to Bodega Bay

10 Drive back to SF

If you have more time you can easily add days in Mendo and or add a day for Pt. Reyes National Seashore.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 776
6. Re: San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

That's a pretty good itinerary above. Lodging in Garberville (not Gaborville!) is limited to the Benbow Inn ($$$$) or modest older motels. It's a quirky old hippie town.

I personally don't think seeing the Ave of the Giants requires a stay in Garberville - it is easily done in a few hours. It's about an hour north to Eureka from there, then another hour & half or so to Crescent City . . . but there is a huge amount of stuff to see in between!

Are you willing to do some reading, paula m? Here are a bunch of websites that will give you lots of information about the Redwood Empire:

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS (Ferndale)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32363-c144314/Eureka…

…suddenlink.net/popenoe/scenes/Trinidad.htm (Trinidad)

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=2464 (drive thru trees)

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32830-Activitie…

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=476 (Fern canyon)

redwoodhikes.com/Jed%20Smith/Jed%20Smith.html

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

http://www.exploredelnorte.com/

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

Bowling Green...
7. Re: San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

thank you so much! i will check these places out and make a plan. really appreciate your time!

London, United...
reviews: 95
8. Re: San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

Thanks for the tips guys. Am thinking of doing roughly the same things but only have about 4-5 days in May. Originally planning to do Yosemite but now have to change it as just found out that the cables are down until late May!

Nice to have a few things to read and start building my itinerary.

Edited: 6:23 pm, January 23, 2013
So Cal
reviews: 64
9. Re: San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

You know there's plenty to do in Yosemite without Half Dome, right?

London, United...
reviews: 95
10. Re: San Francisco to Redwood Forrest

Jenazz - I have never been to Yosemite, but when we go somewhere we always look for the best thing to do - I don't know if I am perhaps being too dramatic, but I am comparing going to Yosimite and not doing the Half Dome hike like going to Rome and only seeing the Colosseum from far and not going in. I am hoping to be swayed though as we really like our hikes and would love to go to Yosimite.

Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park