We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

dallas
reviews: 51
Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

We will be visiting the park in early July. We will leave from Gold Beach, OR on the morning of July 5, plan to stay one night (7/6) in Euraka/Acata/ Trinidad, will have to reach San Francisco on the evening of July 7. Can anyone please advice must-see places in the park during this short visit? We like hiking and we’ve been to quite a few places have big trees: Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, Hoh Rain Forest, and Ecola State Park. At the moment, my list has the following:

1. Stout Grove, Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park

2. Howland Hill Road , Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park

3. The big tree loop, Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

4. Lady Bird Johnson grove, Redwood National Park

5. Avenue of the Giants, Humboldt Redwoods State Park

And also, will the area be foggy during that time of the year?

Thanks in advance!

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

You have a nice list. If you have time I'd include Patricks Point State Park and the town of Ferndale.

It should only be foggy in the am and in the afternoon sometimes. You might luck out with no fog at all though.

Eureka, California
reviews: 2
2. Re: Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

Hi tiger62z

Bet on it being foggy. I think we have had 1 clear 4th of July the last 6 or 7 years. The good news is the redwoods are just as nice in the fog as they are in the sunshine. In the ancient groves it is shady anyway. I have been in all the places you have named, add Bull Creek and Rockefeller Forest in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. it has more tall trees than your lists combined. If time becomes an issue I would skip Lady Bird.

Have Fun

GP

Los Angeles, CA
reviews: 12
3. Re: Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

Prepare for warmer weather along the Avenue of the Giants. In July, temps can get into the 80s and 90s because it's inland and away from the coastal fog belt.

Los Angeles, CA
reviews: 12
4. Re: Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park: Fern Canyon and Gold Bluffs Beach (you may see some Roosevelt elk here).

Humboldt Redwoods State Park: Dyerville Loop and the Dyerville Giant, an old-growth redwood which fell in a storm in 1991. Also, there's some nice redwood groves on Bull Creek Flats Road.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
5. Re: Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

Ecola SP has nothing like the trees in Redwood NP. I think you have a lot planned for your one day!

Going south, make sure you take the Newton Drury scenic route. The freeway starts just south of Klamath and the exit is about 2-3 miles farther on. Don't miss it as there is only one. That road is old 101 and it will bring you back to present-day 101 around Prairie Creek.

If you run out of time I agree Lady Bird can be skipped.

Roseville...
reviews: 15
6. Re: Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

Looks like this one is pretty well covered.

My only additionalthoughts relate to food.

1) Try the Porthole Cafe in Golds Beach. Love both the clam chowder and ruben.

2) Sounds like you might be picnicing for lunch on drive through redwood country. You might stop at Safeway in Crescent City to pick up hand made sandwiches.

You might look to spend the night in Ferndale instead of Eureka. Quaint little town...though I've never stayed there.

Edited: 6:06 pm, June 12, 2012
Lassen National...
7. Re: Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

Along the picnic ideas DAMcC22 mentions, there's Hole in the Wall for sandwiches in Eureka and Arcata & Wildberries Market in Arcata makes good sandwiches as well a nice selection of side dishes, cheeses, chips, etc..

dallas
reviews: 51
8. Re: Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

Thank you so much for the great and helpful input, everyone! I appreciate it.

After we cross the state board, which route should we take to go to the stout grove, 101-197-199-Howland Hill Road or 101-199-Howland Hill Road?

Here is the updated list, I have to say it is a bit ambitious since we will only have 1.5 days in the area.

1. Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park

1.1 Stout Grove

1.2 Howland Hill Road

note: stop at crescent city to check the visit information center; Going south, take the Newton Drury scenic route.

2. Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

2.1 The big tree loop

2.2 Fern Canyon

2.3 Gold Bluffs Beach

3. Redwood National Park

3.1. Optional: Lady Bird Johnson grove

4. Patrick’s Point State Park

The Rim Trail at and to Agate Beach was closed due to erosion; the beach can still be accessed from Big Lagoon.

5. Ferndale

6. Humboldt Redwoods State Park

6.1 Avenue of the Giants

6.2 Bull Creek - there's some nice redwood groves on Bull Creek Flats Road

6.3 Rockefeller Forest

6.4 Dyerville Loop and the Dyerville Giant,

Lassen National...
9. Re: Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

It doesn't matter too much. 197 is a cut off and really pretty. It's a bit shorter. I think it's a safer road to. That section of hwy 101 between CC and Brookings,OR is dangerous imo. A lot of people commute between the two towns.

Roseville...
reviews: 15
10. Re: Must-see places in Redwood parks in a short visit

Agree with above.