We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwood Forest Vacation

Silver Lake...
reviews: 2
Redwood Forest Vacation

We are flying into Sacramento CA. We will have 1 week to spend in the Redwood Forest. We would like a cabin/cottage in or near the forest. We enjoy to hike, wildlife, museums, history, etc... We are from KS. Any ideas on places to stay and things to do.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 809
1. Re: Redwood Forest Vacation

Redwood National Park is a bit different from many other NPs in that it is a long narrow strip along the NW coast - and it has the only major highway in the area running right through it. So you don't have entrance gates, and there is a lot of private property all through the area.

There are several towns that are options to stay in when visiting. These would be south to north: Eureka, Arcata, Mc Kinleyville, Trinidad, Orick, Klamath, Crescent City. There are pros and cons to each of them.

Take a look at them here on TripAdvisor - just enter each town name in the top right search box.

In your other thread, I gave you some ideas of things to do... tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2193168-i22777-k5…

Have you changed your mind about staying in Miranda?

What is your budget for lodging?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
2. Re: Redwood Forest Vacation

Here is some general information about Redwood NP that may help you:

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32363-c144314/Eureka…

…suddenlink.net/popenoe/scenes/Trinidad.htm (Trinidad)

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=2464 (drive thru trees)

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=476 (Fern canyon)

redwoodhikes.com/Jed%20Smith/Jed%20Smith.html

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

http://www.exploredelnorte.com/

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

Edited: 6:53 pm, February 26, 2012
Silver Lake...
3. Re: Redwood Forest Vacation

Well, we have reservations at Miranda Gardens Cotages but I didn't realize Miranda only had 500 people. Now I'm second guessing myself. Budget for lodging would be $110-$150.

Silver Lake...
4. Re: Redwood Forest Vacation

I'm a bit on information overload...... We would like to have a cabin in the forest. Booking a cabin is kinda scary if you haven't been there. What are things that we shouldn't miss? This is probable a once in a lifetime trip so I want to have a good time. I have a husband and 2 teenage sons.

Eureka, California
5. Re: Redwood Forest Vacation

Hi bhonas

When will you be up here.

Have Fun

GP

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
6. Re: Redwood Forest Vacation

The problem with booking a cabin in "the forest" is the definition of "forest". There are cabins available around Trinidad that are set into trees, some of them redwoods. Trinidad has only about 300 people but has a decent grocery store, eateries and is 15 minutes from larger towns. You might like Emerald Forest.

There are also cabins around Klamath, but Klamath does not have eateries so you have to drive to Crescent City, about a half hour away.

Keep in mind that there are no "cities" here - the largest town by far is about 30,000 population; that is Eureka.

Miranda is *much* father away from the actual National Park as it's well south of Eureka.

Sorry to give your information overload but often research ahead of time makes for a more enjoyable vacation :-)

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
7. Re: Redwood Forest Vacation

Almost all the forest north of the Ave is redwood trees. Keep in mind though that a cabin in the forest is dark, damp, and probably mold filled. It's drier around the Ave than it is further north though. Just make sure to read reviews and do a street view of the place. As far as the area, I think you can find fun things to do with 3 days if you enjoy nature and the outdoors.

Silver Lake...
8. Re: Redwood Forest Vacation

During the Memorial Holiday.

Silver Lake...
9. Re: Redwood Forest Vacation

We actually are staying at the Emerald Forest for 3 nights. Would like to spend 3 nights somewhere else. We would be driving from the Sacramento airport. I read that Miranda Gardens had excellent reviews so that is why we picked it. What would you suggest coming from the airport?

Eureka, California
10. Re: Redwood Forest Vacation

Hi bhonas

I think you will be fine with those places. I had lunch at the Avenue cafe in Miranda few weeks ago and it was very good. I'll look through my trail notes

and give you a few pointers in another post. On your travel day from Miranda to Trinidad consider going out to Petrolia and along the lost coast into Ferndale, you will not forget that drive... ever. This will be my 40th year of living and hiking in Humboldt county. Redwood ecology is a hobby of mine.

Have Fun

GP

Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park