We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport for Serre Chevalier: Chambery Airport - quite good

Which Briancon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
reviews: 32
Airport for Serre Chevalier: Chambery Airport - quite good

See my earlier posts in this forum about flying to Chambery for Serre Chevalier.

I've just returned, having had a week this year in Le Monetier Les Bains and a few days in Briancon.

I flew to Grenoble this year (and returned from Nice, going to the coast for around a week afterwards).

But it struck me what a quite good airport Chambery is for Serre Chevalier if you're travelling independently. Nearly no one mentions Chambery for Serre Chevalier, and I don't know why.

Consider this - there is one hour which the train from Chambery city train station to Grenoble train station takes.

Compare that with flying to Grenoble (one of the 2 most recommended airports for Serre Chevalier). The airport bus from Grenoble Isere airport to Grenoble bus and train stations takes 50 minutes.

*** V.F.D. run buses from Chambery Airport to Grenoble which only stop at Chambery Airport if you have booked in advance. Two buses a day. However, the early bus is very early and the late bus leaves a lot of waiting time. Last year I didn't book the bus as the timing looked too tight between flight arrival and getting the bus, considering the early flights had been delayed in departing at my airport days before I left because of early morning ice on the runway. What you could do, if timing looks tight, is telephone V.F.D. and see if they would wait for you, for example if you are 15 minutes or so later than the bus time.

Bus details and contact details at:

www.vfd.fr

Chambery works quite well as an airport for S.C. The travelling time between Chambery airport and Chambery train station is around 20 minutes.

*** The only downsid with taking the train between Cahmbery station and Grenoble is that there is no airport bus at Chambery airport (to the city). You'd have to get a taxi, so obviously you'd pay more than typical airport bus prices.

There is a manned taxi stand near the exit in Chambery airport, and if you ask for a taxi, it will be arranged for you reasonably quickly - that is how getting a taxi work there. Despite that planes are coming in around the same time and the airport may be very busy, greatly most of the arrivers get on their tour operator booked coaches, most going to the Northern French Alps. There weren't many people taking taxis when I was there, and I waited around a minute to get into a taxi. I recognised a number of people when I arrived in Chambery train station who were on the plane I took, I hadn't thought to look around to ask to share a taxi. Consider asking people who look as if they're going for a taxi.

Last winter (2008) I paid 20 Euros for just myself and around 30 kilograms of luggage in a taxi to the train station.

As a consolation, the train fare between Chambery and Grenoble is quite a good price, around 10 or 11 Euros in 2008.

The timing is relatively quite good from Chambery, for Serre Chevalier (bear in mind some would find the shorter Grenoble airport transfer timing a bit long anyway, travelling to Serre Chevalier by flying to France is like that). It is a good idea to get a taxi from the airport to the train station in Chambery as soon as you get you luggage, in case you just miss a train and have to wait an hour or so for the next train to Grenoble.

1. Re: Airport for Serre Chevalier: Chambery Airport - quite good

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, October 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Briancon