We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MilkRiver House, Fiumellate

Forum
reviews: 7
MilkRiver House, Fiumellate

Hello, has anyone stayed in the above apartment before? It has a website and is situated in the village about 20 mins away from Varenna. This apartment has not been rated before, not in Tripadvisor nor booking.com and other booking agencies. From the website, the apartment and price looks interesting, yet no reviews at all.

5 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
1. Re: MilkRiver House, Fiumellate

Yes! We just stayed there April 8-11. It is not 20mins from Varenna, Varenna is in fact the next neighbouring town and they are only about 5km apart. You will see the big town clock of Varenna from the rooms of MilkRiver house. It is typical Lombardy-character home. SO keep in mind it is very old, and the kitchen is very small (bring a lighter in your checked baggage to light the stove; the little bakery doesn't sell lighters or matches.) However, the bedrooms are very clean, newly updated, bright and cozy. The dining room has an old sofa couch, but otherwise the furniture throughout the place is classic vintage and looks brilliant in the rooms! My boyfriend didn't like the place as much because it was "old" and the kitchen was so small. I hand washed all the dishes and prepped the meals in there no problem! Because you have a dining room I don't think it matters that the kitchen is small. My boyfriends 72 year-old father loved the place too and told Adrian "you can't not like something because its old"! lol

The rooms face the water, and you can see Bellagio and Menaggio across the way. The owner, Luisa will bring along her English speaking cousin to translate into English, but they are amazing. When we got to Fiumelatte, we were told to park at the church. Unfortunately, we did not see the church (because it looked like everything else except there was a small cross on the top) so we drove to Varenna and saw the "obvious" big church and thought that might be it. When we second guessed ourselves, we contiued driving until we were out of Varenna, decided to turn back, took a wrong turn, pulled a u-turn, and then went back to the Varenna church. When we paused there a car pulled up beside us and said "Lindsay" (I was in the back) "we've been following you since Fiumelatte; you're a crazy driver!" haha! They knew we were lost and went out of their way to find us. How on earth they picked us out as the only tourists driving through Fiumelatte is beyond me! But they went above and beyond to help us! (If you do go there, there is a little public lake-front parking area that is right across from your place so park there if you can.) They walked us up to the place; which is a little tiled stone walk, behind the street front buildings, over the Milk River (Fiumelatte) and then up a little cobbled street to the little wooden door. The first rooms are on the 2nd level, and the 3rd room (my fave) is on the 3rd level.

We spent over 3 weeks in Italy and the people of the Como region are the nicest people Italy has to offer. Be sure to go out one night in Bellano (next town on the other side of Varenna) if you can find a place open late, you will find the nicest young bartenders (one even called their friends and drove our rental car back to MilkRIver house for us). We went out twice in Bellano; two different places. I hope this helps and I will be glad to help further if you need!

I just came on here to review the place actually, but then I saw your post. I am out of time now, I'll have to review it later (:

Forum
2. Re: MilkRiver House, Fiumellate

Hello Lindsay, thank you for bring some insight to this place. Yes, I agree with you that it is old from the pictures shown in the website. But as long as it is clean, we are ok. We used to stay in hostels which are also converted from old buildings. Is the place worth a stay for the price? From the pictures, it looks romantically beautiful and with a little garden overlooking the sea. Where did you get to buy the lighter for the stove to cook? Most probably we will eat in.

My concern is the distance from Varenna because we do not have a car. I was told 15 mins of walk from Varenna centre but if it is 5 km, then it will take more than half an hour for us to walk out to Varenna to take ferry out to Bellagio and Menaggio. We have to take that into consideration. Thanks for the suggestion about staying late in Bellano, we need the ferry to get back to Fiumellate.

Sydney
reviews: 3
3. Re: MilkRiver House, Fiumellate

Hello,

did you end up staying here? How did you find it if you did, Up to expectations?

If so was there any noise from the train as the line looks very close!

How

Thank you

Forum
4. Re: MilkRiver House, Fiumellate

No, we did not manage to book that place. Our 2 nights stay did not interest the owner. Sorry, can't advise further.

Thanks

Sydney
reviews: 3
5. Re: MilkRiver House, Fiumellate

Oh, ok, sorry about that, Hope you found somewhere else great!

Thank you very much for your reply!

Cheers

Melissa

Reply to: MilkRiver House, Fiumellate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fiumelatte
Recent Conversations