We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Lahinch activities (besides the beach)

Which Lahinch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Lyon, MI
reviews: 24
Suggestions for Lahinch activities (besides the beach)

We have reservations at Craglea Lodge for 2 nights Friday and Saturday in August--driving up coast road from Killarney via the ferry at Killaloe and expect to arrive late in the afternoon. Our family includes a 79 year old grandma, my husband and I plus our two college age kids. What do you suggest for good places to eat, good places to enjoy local live music, good places to get locally made practical goods (clothing, jewelry, art).

I have an allergy to shellfish, so I must be careful when ordering my meals. We will probably not have time to see the Cliffs that first day, so what time on Sunday would be the best time to go there to avoid the crowds? Will Grandma have to do much walking from the car to see the cliffs? Are there resting spots along the way? We hope to head out to the Burren on Monday morning towards the east to our next B&B.

Hope you can help! Thanks.

Austin
reviews: 12
11. Re: Suggestions for Lahinch activities (besides the beach)

Kenny's Lahinch Art Gallery is owned by Edel's mother and her sister manages it. The gift shop part of the gallery is extensive albeit standard, but the art gallery is worth a visit. When we were there, a high-ranking Clare official was delivering remarks at the opening of the showing.

As I may have said, it seems as if the Kennys own half of Lahinch and that everyone went to school with a Kenny sibling. Yes, her brother owns Kenny's pub and when her parents ran it Edel and her siblings grew up above it.

Yes, you will see surfers in wetsuits. One of our fellow Craglea guests was in Lahinch to take surfing lessons. We bought Lahinch Surf Shop T-shirts and they were a big hit with our Irish friends.

Ailwee Cave requires a lot of walking.

Yes, Ferdia, that stop near Fanore must be the place. I recommend it for folks who have a hard time walking since it takes just a few steps off the road to appreciate the Burren.

The big thing, though: Have you begun to watch "Father Ted" to prepare for your trip? The TV show was filmed in that area, including near Ennistymon and the Cliffs.

South Lyon, MI
12. Re: Suggestions for Lahinch activities (besides the beach)

Hi Jojoko, Tell me more about "Father Ted"--what network and typical day/evening can I see it? Thanks so much for the alert about that.

Shannon, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
reviews: 33
13. Re: Suggestions for Lahinch activities (besides the beach)

Jokoko - graet idea with the Father Ted advice, take alook on my profile and you'll see a few familiar sights from the series, including the Chinese pub scene (vaughans), his house in Kilnaboy and the Plassey - all around the area.

DOT - hope you've a great time, and the box set is available on amazon if you can't find it on cable - it's a BBC series.

Austin
14. Re: Suggestions for Lahinch activities (besides the beach)

I checked out "Father Ted" from our local library. Our local non-chain video rental place also carries it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ted

Warning, some plot spoilers. But a much better description of the show and its characters than on IMDB.

Austin
15. Re: Suggestions for Lahinch activities (besides the beach)

Ferdia, loved the photos. Thanks for sharing.

South Lyon, MI
16. Re: Suggestions for Lahinch activities (besides the beach)

Thanks so much for revealing more about Father Ted series. I also could see some funny clips on YouTube. Here's one from episode The Greeks that shows him coming outside and speaking to a couple of people outside. Wonder where that was shot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHh3ykPQEl4&feature=related

I can't wait to see more since it seems like the series really provides a good glimpse of rural Irish culture. Would you agree?

Shannon, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
reviews: 33
17. Re: Suggestions for Lahinch activities (besides the beach)

The house in in Kilnaboy, although the front door looks different, the countryside looks familiar.

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/10/ed/6b/f…

Alot of the filming was in Kilfenora and Inis Oirr.

18. Re: Suggestions for Lahinch activities (besides the beach)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:26 am, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lahinch