We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternatives to Bunratty Medieval Banquet?

Which Bunratty hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 1
Alternatives to Bunratty Medieval Banquet?

So,this is totally my fault, but I was a bit late on trying to book a reservation for mid-June medieval banquet and the only time available is the late dining. It is the night before we fly out of Shannon on a very early flight with our kids(tweens). I think the late would be just too much and perhaps we would find it difficult to enjoy if we knew we would be getting up a few hours after it ended.(4am) I am wondering if just visiting the folk park for a few hours and then finding a good meal on our own in Bunratty might be the best choice for us? Or will we regret not going to the banquet no matter how late? Any recommendations for a great restaurant in Bunratty?

Thanks in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Center Moriches...
reviews: 51
1. Re: Alternatives to Bunratty Medieval Banquet?

Are you trying to book through the website? We had the same problem, so I called them direct from the US. Spoke with a lovely woman who found us reservations for the earlier seating on the night we wanted.

Phoenix, Arizona
2. Re: Alternatives to Bunratty Medieval Banquet?

Thanks for the tip, Chris! Yes, I was booking online and I did send an email today asking about the earlier seating. I will give a call first thing tomorrow if I don't hear back. Thanks again!

Heather

Maryland
reviews: 2
3. Re: Alternatives to Bunratty Medieval Banquet?

Also very nearby Knappogue Castle does the Medieval Banquet as well. It's just a few miles away.

Good Luck,

Sunny

Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 39
4. Re: Alternatives to Bunratty Medieval Banquet?

I haven't been to the Medieval banquet, but we've been to the Traditional Night at Bunratty, and I recommend it.

Phoenix, Arizona
5. Re: Alternatives to Bunratty Medieval Banquet?

Thank you, Sunny and Robert, for the suggestions.

I did receive an email back and we are on the 5:30 wait list for the medieval banquet. But, after getting Robert's suggestion about Traditional Night, I'm wondering if that may be a better choice? Only thing is that our only other scheduled event is Trad on the Prom on the first night of our trip. So, not sure if those will be too similar? My tweens love live music and I understand much of the trad music is played in pubs in the evening when children aren't permitted. (hoping to enjoy some earlier or day time local performances when we can find it)

I'm personally leaning a bit toward the Traditional Night, but will check with the rest of the family and see if they would prefer the medieval banquet. Also will check out the reviews of both nights.

Thanks so much,

Heather

Maryland
reviews: 2
6. Re: Alternatives to Bunratty Medieval Banquet?

The Shannon Heritage website has videos of each of the performances so you can get an idea of what to expect.

Cheers,

Sunny

Iowa
reviews: 89
7. Re: Alternatives to Bunratty Medieval Banquet?

I attended the Medieval Banquet a few years ago and, though it was interesting, it is a bit 'slow'. This past summer I took my girls to the traditional Irish Night. The music and dance is livelier, and the food might also be more to the kids' liking...

As Sunny said, the website does a good job of describing both. You can read reviews of the banquet here at Trip Advisor, but when I tried to leave a review of the Traditional Night, it wouldn't accept it (probably because it doesn't happen all year 'round). I did share our experiences online and would be happy to share that link with you if you want to drop me a message.

Reply to: Alternatives to Bunratty Medieval Banquet?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted