We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good deal or rip off?

Which Bunratty hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CT
good deal or rip off?

Just saw an ad for a trip to Ireland, 6 nights for $499 per person, including airfare from NYC or Boston. Is this too good to be true? I would be traveling with 2 children (10 and 13) We are an easy going group and don't need fancy lodgings (but has to be clean) Here are more details. I did some research, but I am wary still.

Depart on select Tuesdays, Thursdays or Sundays from Sept. 1 - Dec. 17 to get the deal. The special price is based on four people traveling together.

The deal includes:

* Roundtrip, nonstop airfare to Shannon from New York City and Boston; Discounted airfare also available from across the U.S.

* Six nights in a three-bedroom private cottage at the Bunratty Castle Gardens, located 15 minutes from the Shannon airport in Western Ireland

* Full-size manual car rental for the week

* One authentic Irish coffee at Durty Nelly's

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
1. Re: good deal or rip off?

It's a standard deal offered during the off season, so I wouldn't worry about it being a rip-off. But I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the accomodation, hopefully someone local can weigh in on that.

You may also want to see the comments below about the property, recently posted by someone who stayed there.

2. Re: good deal or rip off?

Sounds OK, there are good deals off season. I don't know if you'd want to stay 6 nights in the same place anyway, but at the price you have the option. try to check no hidden extras in car hire.

Bear in mind the days get shorter so you would want to be as early as possible in that time slot; unless you have family to visit touring with children would be tough by mid October let alone December

pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
3. Re: good deal or rip off?

I saw the same deal on Travelzoo. The best way to evaluate it would be to see if the deal is available at that price on the dates you want to travel, and then:

1. Check airfares if booked separately for those dates

2. Check car rental prices for those dates.

It may be that the accomodations end up being basically a freebie.

However, the most important thing isn't whether it is a "rip off" (which it doesn't sound like at those prices, whether or not it is a fantastic value). It is whether you want to go on that particular trip. So do some research in guidebooks and on Tripadvisor, to find out if that part of Ireland is a good place to base yourself for 6 nights, or if you'd do better to plan the trip independently, even if it would cost you more. You might even find that It is such a great deal that you could stay at these accomodations for a few days and then move on-- and still save money.

Also-- it is important to know that these deals are very inflexible. Get trip insurance from another source (insuremytrip.com, Travelguard or the like). Read all the fine print. There are complaints on this board from people who have booked one of these super-value trips from Sceptre and Dooley and then expected lots of hand-holding, service and flexiblity. Then there are others (like me) who found great value and had wonderful trips.

4. Re: good deal or rip off?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, February 02, 2011