We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MacNean House & Bistro

Which Cavan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
reviews: 2
MacNean House & Bistro

Hello! Has anyone stayed the night here? How were the meals? Are there any activities in the town on a Sunday evening? I am unable to locate much information on line. Comments appreciated.

PM

Ireland
reviews: 9
21. Re: MacNean House & Bistro

Hi,

We (party of 4) had dinner there recently and "Boy was it well worth the wait". We had booked some 5 months previously and were not able to book the attached accommodation. Not to worry, we were guided to Bella Vista B&B just across the border in Fermanagh. The B&B was great and we were made most welcome. Raymond (proprietor) even drove us the short distance to MacNean House and Bistro on the night. Being early we made for the Bush Bar, which has recently been renovated. Here we were again well looked after with Rugby on the screen. The mostly young clientele were friendly. We then made our way across the street to heaven. We were welcomed and directed to our table. The staff were very knowledgeable and friendly. There is a €70, €85 menu and a €45 vegetarian one. The wine list is extensive and very good value especially the House wines. The meal was excellent with many "Taster Courses" added. We were all delighted with our meal and service. The variety of food is impressive as is the many unusual crockery items in which the food is served.

All in all a most enjoyable evening and we will be back. Highly recommended.

Regards,

Glasgow
reviews: 14
22. Re: MacNean House & Bistro

Just back from a weekend in Cavan which I thoroughly enjoyed and the highlight was dinner last night in MacNean's Restaurant. We booked 6 months ago to go there and I flew over from Glasgow particularly for this occasion and it surpassed expectations. I have eaten in many fine restaurants in Ireland and round the world and have to say this was definitely one of the best. The food is imaginatively presented and yet tastes even better than it looks. The goat's cheese starter which was of three different consistencies of goat's cheese was magnificent. I thought the people that served were so good and attentive but not at all intrusive which sometimes is the case in the so called 'better restaurants'. When we were leaving, Neven came out to say hello and he is such a grounded individual I can see why the staff all obviously love him and that he absolutely loves what he is doing. I now just cant wait to go back again!!!

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 114
23. Re: MacNean House & Bistro

I had the pleasure of staying for 1 night in this B & B last December which my DD had booked about 6 months previously. We arrived just about an hour before our dinner reservation which gave us time to settle in. Yes, our room was small but oh, so comfortable and homely and totally spotless and warm. We descended the stairs for our dinner which felt like being at home! The dining room is big but very nicely furnished. I can't remember exactly what we ate but I know we had an absolutely fabulous meal which seemed to go on for hours. We had one drink after our dinner and then up to bed, satisfied and nicely tired. Our breakfast the next morning was divine. I particularly remember the gorgous porridge! We left after breakfast for the long drive home. I would 100% recommend this place and hope to return sometime in the near future.

Ireland
reviews: 1
24. Re: MacNean House & Bistro

Yes, I've been a couple of times now. The food is amazing and the place quite laid back; it lacks the pretension which usually comes as part of the package with these type of places. Unfortunately the village it's set in is not too exciting. This came as a shock to friends I brought along last time. They had imagined a romantic secluded country house; the food however is the reason you make the trip and it never disappoints. There's plenty to do in the area such as the Marble Arch caves and Florenscourt House to the East & North (these are very well signposted from the village of Blacklion) then to the west towards Sligo along a very scenic route is located the Glencar waterfall. However if you leave this road and head towards Dowra and onto Ballinagleara and further to Drumshambo the countryside is really very beautiful. There's lots to do along the way and it's a part of the country you never hear about. There are long walks to do through the Iron mountains and along Lough Allen - recommend this after a lunch at McNeans. Good Luck!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
reviews: 35
25. Re: MacNean House & Bistro

Martin,- You know what they say about Cavan people, our county is so beautiful we want to keep it all to ourselves. As you describe the walks through the Cuilcagh mountains are spectacular with the Shannon Pot and burren, with views over neighbouring counties and across into Sligo. As for McNean's restaurant and chef Neven Maguire the reputation goes before his modesty and the proof of the pudding really is in the eating as many others have testified.

Now that you know where we are, next time bring your friends, it's no secret really that we do love too see visitors.

Ireland
reviews: 13
26. Re: MacNean House & Bistro

We had a perfect Saturday evening in MacNean's bistro. The food was incredible. Each course beautifully presented. The flavour combinations subtle, complex, accomplished. The dining room welcoming, the staff friendly and knowledgeable. The expectations high, but Nevin and his team more then delivered.

Personal thanks to Nevin for taking time to welcome all at our table. He spoke with enthusiasm about the locally sourced product and the preparation techniques. We were all very impressed by this talented chef.

Belcoo and Blacklion may be small but they are surrounded by beautiful scenery. There is lot's to do and see. It is close to the Fermanagh lakes, Florence Court (a beautiful 18th century house and gardens), Marble Arch caves and the perfect entry point to the West of Ireland.

27. Re: MacNean House & Bistro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 21, 2010